• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital smoker box convert...

Started by icerat4, September 13, 2010, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

icerat, I sent the links thru a pm to you.

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

icerat4

Question...if i plug the digital smoker box directly into a outlet.The heat element will start to glow and heat up...How high will the temps be if done that way...Or will it blow out the element due to no temp control...As yesterday i did this and was like wow the element is working .but i unpluged it due to the fact i had no clue of what would happen...Anyone do this..and what happpens

Tenpoint5

Hopefully it will blow the high temp fuse before it damages the element.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: icerat4 on September 17, 2010, 06:47:21 AM
Question...if i plug the digital smoker box directly into a outlet.The heat element will start to glow and heat up...How high will the temps be if done that way...Or will it blow out the element due to no temp control...As yesterday i did this and was like wow the element is working .but i unpluged it due to the fact i had no clue of what would happen...Anyone do this..and what happpens

Without a controller in the circuit, the heating element will run full tilt until you blow a fuse or thermal link somewhere.  Back to HabS's question - you need a controller in the circuit.  Follow CRG's counsel, use a PID - the cabinet element is powered via the PID  and that gives temp control.  THE OSG can also be powered through an Auber Dual Probe PID and that can be set to run on time.  All as CRG suggested.  Running the heating element straight to wall power is okay to test the unit, but I wouldn't try cooking that way, without control of somekind.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

icerat4

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on September 17, 2010, 08:04:18 AM
Quote from: icerat4 on September 17, 2010, 06:47:21 AM

Without a controller in the circuit, the heating element will run full tilt until you blow a fuse or thermal link somewhere.  Back to HabS's question - you need a controller in the circuit.  Follow CRG's counsel, use a PID - the cabinet element is powered via the PID  and that gives temp control.  THE OSG can also be powered through an Auber Dual Probe PID and that can be set to run on time.  All as CRG suggested.  Running the heating element straight to wall power is okay to test the unit, but I wouldn't try cooking that way, without control of somekind.

i GOT YA ..I just never tried that direct plug in deal,,I bought this below to deal with the heat element part of the 6 rack box..This is the one i was told to use.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72