• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BBQ Capital of Texas

Started by Gizmo, September 17, 2010, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Took a couple hour detour to stop in on the BBQ Capital of Texas.....Lockhart
Had a hard time trying to decide which of the 4 BBQ places to stop at.  Blacks, Chisholm Trail, Kreuz, or Smitty's.

Decided on Blacks. 

Ordered a couple slices of Brisket, Jalapeno Cheese sausage and Mrs had ribs.

Amazing smoke flavor.  Kent uses a simple rub and lets the meat flavor shine.  Very Very good smoke flavor shines through.  They use Post Oak for all their meat.  No sauce needed here. 

The slices of brisket I had were just a touch dry but on the personal tour Kent gave me, he sliced open a fresh brisket that was not dry.

If you make it to Blacks, say hi to Kent Black.  He is a great guy to talk to and will give you a little personal history of his heritage.

It just started raining out, well raining is not really the word for it as it was more like standing in front of a fire hydrant just after we found Smittys to get some Q to go.

When you walk in, you will feel like you have been smoking yourself.   :D

The eating area is in a separate room.   ;)
Interestingly enough, their fire is outside the pit area and the updraft draws in the smoke and heat.

Ordered a few slices of brisket and a couple of cold links to go.
Grabbed a chunk of the brisket as they were wrapping it up.  Tender, Very Juicy, but not quite as deep of a smoke flavor as Blacks.
Can't wait to try the sausages.

We needed to get back on the road as the visibility was dropping to about 30 yards and we had a 4 hour drive ahead of us.

This was a worthwile stop for sure.  I'll be back to try some more some day, or maybe later this week.  ;D

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

hal4uk

Looks like a good detour!
Thanks for sharing the pics!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Heck yeah Giz.  Looked like a great road trip to me.  I can almost smell the smoke in Smitty's! :)

BuyLowSellHigh

Lockhart and Luling, that's the heart of Texas barbecue.  If it's not the epicenter of the brisket belt I don't know what is  Looks like you did well Gizmo.  This will probably make Caney homesick.  One more to put on your list is the City Market in Luling.  If you drove north into Lockhart from I-10 you went right past it in the first mile or two.  An intersting note, Kreuz was born out of a family spat that erupted when the original owner of Smitty's died.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

FLBentRider

That's cool Giz. I love those kind of places.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Nice detour!

Bet the food was awesome!

Thanks for some nice pics!