• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

jerky storage?

Started by bflosmoke, September 27, 2010, 07:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

Hi folks
Just wondering what the best way to store cured jerky? zip locks, refridgerate ventilated containers?
Thanks in advance
BFLO

FLBentRider

I keep mine in zip bags in the fridge, if it lasts that long.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Uncle Pigfat

I made the mistake of leaving mine in the paper bags that I used to blot the surface grease with.  Now I have 2 bagfuls of brittle jerky.  I vac pack mine after a day or so in a paper bag if I'm planning on trying to keep myself out of it until I give it to someone or just to make sure I get some longevity out of a batch.

RAF128

Most houses are dry and any moisture in the jerky will come out of it.   If you've got it in a bag in the fridge the same will happen.  Some fridges had a drawer in the fridge that maintains the humidity and it might last there.   Best bet IMO is to vac seal in small bunches and freeze it.   I say small bunches 'cause if it like jerky at my house, once the package is opened, it gone.

pikeman_95

If you dry your jerky until it is leathery but not brittle you can wrap it if plastic wrap and then I wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the plastic wrap tight. You can then place it in a Ziploc bag and freeze it. The reason for all these steps is as follows. If too much moisture is left in the meat the moisture will expand when it freezes and the crumble the jerky. If you just place it in a zip lock bag they might if not usually get left open in the freezer and then the jerky will pick up the taste of the freezer. I make single helping sized stacks of jerky and wrap them separately and have had jerky in the freezer over a year and you can not tell it wasn't just made. I have also put it in the freezer with too much moisture in it and had all the meat fibers like crumbled sawdust.

check my post on groung jerky making.
good luck.