• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need help quick (u guys never heard that bfore)

Started by Bourbon, July 03, 2005, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bourbon

OK, here's the situation; Brother-in-law calls me this morning, said he'd just bought some ribs and was on his way over. After talkin up the BS so much, I can't possibly say "Can't do it." So...
Not even sure what kind of ribs these are. They say "Pork Spareribs COV Brisket Bone Off". Have probably 17lb, guessing. Completely filled up the smoker, had to cut up at least one rack to fill the shelves. These things are huge. So...
I got them in about 11:00 AM. Put whatever spice on them I could (salt, onion powder, red pepper, paprika, garlic powder, I think that's all) Didn't have time to pull membrane off. No marinades either. Topped everthing with cheap bacon. Shooting for about 220 deg's, vent 1/2 open. Apple/Hickory mix bisquettes. Hoping to have them done in 6 hours. Have I just wasted $50 worth of pig?
Any experts on here today (of course there's experts on the Bradley forum!) any advise on how to save my meat and my pride would be awesome.
Thanks in advance
Aaron.

DTom

Bourbon,
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you have enough time to do them justice.

I've only smoked baby backs and I use more time than that.  I'm going to guess you may need 8 hrs + for those to get tender accounting for FTC.  Hopefully someone with sparerib experience will pipe up.

Anymore I'm of the 'tude to smoke the day before then let the meat 'mellow' and eat the following day.  I'd recommend pizza. ;-)

BigSmoker

Well I guess you found out you didn't have enough time to get them done[:(].  Best thing you could have done in a pinch is hot smoke for 3-4 hrs at 240 or there abouts.  Pull and wrap in heavy duty foil and back into a preheated oven 225f cook for 2 more hrs and they would have probably been done.  The foil really speeds up the process.  I would have then put them on the grill to finish them for another 30 min. to and hr. saucing them every 10 minutes or spritz with 75%apple juice 25%apple cider vinegar.  Total cook time 6-7 hrs.  Not bad for spares[;)].  Sorry it to little too late[:(].  But next time you will be prepared in a pinch.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Bourbon

Well, they ended up not being too bad.  With 17 lbs of ribs in there (It was Full!) I couldn't get the BS to come up past about 170 degrees.  So they stayed in there for about 6 hours at less than 170 degrees, then pulled them out and put them in the oven in foil for another hour or so.  Used apple juice on most of them, orange juice on one, and Black Strap rum on one (Hey, it was just sittin' there lookin' like it wanted to be used...)  They were definately edible.
   So, is that pretty common for the temp not to come up with that much meat in there?  I wonder if there's some way to add a second heating element.  Seems like the BS isn't being used to it's full potential if I can't stuff it full.
   Anyways, I'm trying it again today.  I have half the ribs, so I should be able to cook properly.  I had time to pull the membranes this time.  This time I'm trying no rub, just salt.  Does anybody have recipes for a rub and sauce that's very close to what Chili's uses on their ribs?  (For my wife!!)

Thanks to everyone here for their help.  My wife said those last ribs were close to being as good as Chili's, so I'm almost there!!

Aaron

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I wonder if there's some way to add a second heating element. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Someone did add another heat source. I think it was posted last year.... sorry I cannot find that thread, but it is here somewhere.

It looked something like this:

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Yeah Olds,

Lighting up a maxi-pad would probably add more heat, but I'd personally not recommend it.[;)][:D][:D][:D]

And if you felt the need, I'd certainly propose splurging on NIB![;)][:D][:D]

Oh that's bad, even for me![}:)][}:)]

Kirk[8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

psdubl07

OMG, I had to spit out the jelly doughnut I was eating.....[xx(]

[:D][:p]