• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

want to build box/enclosure/home for OBS

Started by gman888, August 31, 2010, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman888

Looking for designs on a enclosure/box for my OBS. I would like to leave the OBS outside in the enclosure all year round.  I live in Saskatchewan where its cold, -30C, so a enclosure will protect it from the elements and the wind.  Any pics would be appreciated.  Thanks

DTAggie

The master craftsmen will be along shortly to help you out.

gman888

PS. I also recently picked up the Masterbuilt on clearance from Canadian tire for $150 (couldn't resist), so I plan to put the Masterbuilt and OBS side by side in the enclosure.  Is there anyway to tie the vents together into a single 'chimney'?  The enclosure roof should be slanted so when it rains, water doesn't sit on it.  Also I want the box/enclosure to look somewhat decent, something that can sit on the deck/patio, so I think cedar tongue and groove panel on sides is probably pretty attractive; keep rain out and looks decent.  But for roof not sure? Plywood and shingles, or cedar panels?

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

gman888

Well not quite done, still need smoke stack and rain cap, but shes pretty good. Kind of proud of it actually.  Built out of cedar, tongue and groove. Spent a a bit more than I wanted to on the materials, but the unit looks pretty sharp.

Tried out Masterbuilt and have to say, I prefer the OBS.  I guess to be fair, some good and bad things about both.  Heres my run down.

MB (Pro): can use any kind of wood (pellets, shavings, pucks, etc). has the digital display that can control temp, and time. Price was right $150 on clearance from Cnd Tire.
MB (Con): the side smoke filler is useless. It simply dumps the wood into the inner wood tray.  However, after the first wood is burnt and turns to ash, the new wood being added simply sits on top of the ash, which never burns. That is why you continuously need to empty the wood tray and physically add wood into the tray, rather than the side filler.  Therefore you loose heat by opening the door to access the tray

OBS (Pro): simple to use, load up the wood pucks and walk away, water bowl also acts as the spent wood difuser
OBS (Con): I find the wood pucks to be expensive, being able to add wood chips is much cheaper and would be a welcome option. I'm not crazy about the slide temp control, and not technical enough to install the digital panel.

Regardless, I'm happy with both units, but the edge goes to OBS.

Here are a few pics. The ribs were done about 2 months ago on the OBS and the chicken legs, and pork shoulder on the MB this past weekend.

How I do?

heres the link to the pics
http://s736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/gman893/smoker/

Habanero Smoker

Nicely done. That will almost house my lawn tractor. ;D

As for the digital controller, the Auber PIDs are very user friendly.
Auber Bradley Smoker Controlls

Here is a link to a tutorial that will show you how to post your pictures directly to the forum:
Posting Pictures

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sawzall

I'm from Saskatchewan, too!  I also bought the Masterbuilt on clearance.  Got an OBS as well, so I have the same set up as you.  I actually have come to prefer the MES over the Bradley for a few reasons.  I find the ability to use any wood great.  I also find the MES recovers much faster then the OBS.  It doesn't get as hot, but this is low 'n slow anyway, right?  As with you I find the pucks expensive, although they are convenient. I don't have a PID so I prefer the control of the MES. The window is great too once I figured out how to clean it.Just scrape it with a razor blade. As for the chip issue on the MES, I found a few things that help without opening the door. When I load new chips (always dry) I use a long poker and go through the loader hole and stir it up so the unburned chips can reach the bottom and start to smolder. Once they start, they will keep going.  Also, there is an upgrade available from Masterbuilt to repair a design flaw in the chip tray, they just released it a week or two ago.  Makes the chip tray twice a big and removes the lower heat shield so the element is directly under the chip tray.  I like them both but if I could only have one, it would be the MasterBuilt.  In fact, once I order an "AMAZE-N-SMOKER" I will probably sell the OBS...Probably not what everyone here wants to hear  :-[

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

sawzall, if a MB smoker is what you like, then we are happy for you.

Welcome to the Forum.

HawkeyeSmokes

sawzall ,

Glad to hear you like the MB.

One question, what do you like about the window?

And welcome to the forum.
HawkeyeSmokes

sawzall

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 07, 2010, 08:39:47 PM
sawzall ,

Glad to hear you like the MB.

One question, what do you like about the window?

And welcome to the forum.
I like to be able to look at my smokes without opening the door.  It also has a light inside you can turn on and off.  Thanks for the kind welcomes, btw.

ArnieM

gman888 - That's a nice looking box.  I wish my bedroom closets were finished in cedar like that.  :D :D

sawzall - Welcome.  It's a matter of personal preference.  Simply use what you like best.  No problem here as long as you're smoking something.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Pawistik

Yet another Saskatchewanian here that wants to house his OBS before winter sets in. gman, how about coming over and building me a fine looking shed like yours! ;)
Cheers,
Bryan