• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tips for first OBS smoke

Started by elweezo, October 26, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

FLBentRider pretty much covered it.
I would go with boiling or has hot as you can stand water from the beginning.
I wouldn't necessarily say that you smoke half the time, as that depends about how long you are smoking ( i.e a butt will take 22 hours, you wouldn't smoke for 11 hrs.) It may turn out to be half, but not always.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

elweezo

2 tries  1 OK smoke   1 really good smoke..
First day    ribs and chicken     Was going well but after  2hrs a severe T-Storm came in and I had to move and finish in the oven.   I wrapped the ribs in foil b4 putting in oven and they got way too tender. Could not pick up a bone without the meat falling to the plate. I actually like when the meat clings to the bone. (but I believe that had more to do with my having to leave it in the oven for 3hrs..  Chicken was great and very easy

2ns smoke was a 7lb butt which I did my first overnight smoke,  Finished the smoking part b4 I went to bed and put fresh pot o water in too.   I have smoked with a charcoal/wood smoker b4 and this was easier and bcuz I wasnt working so hard, I was patient enough to leave it in until it was pullable.   It is the best butt I have ever done.  Would show pics but my wife keeps the cam with her. 

Thanks for allyour advice... Next time its Brisket

Thanks
Weasel 

I thought I had something intersting to put here but then I thought again

GusRobin

Ok - sometimes you can get by without pics because the wives have been known to steal the camera. But she didn't take the details of the butt cook. So, cough 'em up  ---- How long did the butt take, what temp did you cook,what IT did you put it in FTC (if you did) and how long of a FTC?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

KyNola

Congrats Weasel!

You hit it right on the head about the ribs falling off the bone because of 3 hours in the oven wrapped in foil.  Meat falling off a rib bone is a sure sign of the ribs being over done.

Sounds like you did real well with that butt.  I personally believe ribs are the toughest thing to master.  Lord knows I have sure messed up my share of them before finally dialing them in.

elweezo

Quote from: GusRobin on October 29, 2010, 01:00:26 PM
Ok - sometimes you can get by without pics because the wives have been known to steal the camera. But she didn't take the details of the butt cook. So, cough 'em up  ---- How long did the butt take, what temp did you cook,what IT did you put it in FTC (if you did) and how long of a FTC?

Ok Ok    7lb butt
Butt went on at 4 30pm and was retrieved at 10am  (spritzed with apple juice every 1.5hrs till 10 30pm  and then again 8am + 9am)   
While I was smoking 4 30pm - 10 30pm   Smoker temp was about 230
At 10 30 I changed water and cleared away the burnt pucks did the final night spritz and left the smoke generator on for 30 more minutes to rebound the temp.
At 11pm I shut off the S Gen     Temp was at 230    IT was 145.    I went inside and took a couple of shots of 1800 (sleep enhancer)
5am    my wife reported to me that the box temp was 200  and the IT was 167    Which was fine by me.
At 8 am   I went out and put a little more water and turned the heat up and got it running at 230 again.  IT was    172
9am   Spritz   still dead on 230 and IT had started to move to 182
10 am    I went out and smiled cuz The IT was dead on 190  and out she came.   Wrapped her in foil and set in the oven for 1hr and then shredded it, which was soooo easy. Fed my weiner dog and Chihuahua some of the scraps (they were at total attention)   I made sandwiches for lunch and will have them 2nite too.

I thank everyone, especially those who posted about "the stal"   I never would have went to bed if it werent for those posts and now that I look back at when I charcoal/wood smoked "the stall" explains alot of things

thnx again
weasel 

KyNola

Way to go Weasel!  Nailed that sucker.

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together.

I'll say this once again....... Reel Him in boys, we've hooked another one! ;) :D

Nice going Weez!

squirtthecat

Nice job!

You can leave the smoke generator turned on all night if you like...  It won't hurt anything, and it will provide some additional heat.

BuyLowSellHigh

Great job, Weasel!  You've now discovered the joy and beauty of both the Bradley and these forums.  Don't ya love it?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

GusRobin

great job -  The bad part will be that you will be spoiled when it comes to other pulled pork at restaurants, etc.

elweezo

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 29, 2010, 06:57:35 PM
Great job, Weasel!  You've now discovered the joy and beauty of both the Bradley and these forums.  Don't ya love it?

How true, we used to have a great bbq place 5 miles from the house then they move to Iowa.. We tried 11 different BBQ places since and they were CRAP.  Some pork didnt even have smoke flavor, the ribs are usually mushy due to par boililing..  Last night my wife got to try the butt and she said "no more looking for good bbq,  now I see the reason why U didnt mind spending your Bday/xmas present on the bradley"     that felt good

weasel

Tenpoint5

Please don't tell me that Bandanas  was the place that moved to Iowa because the one that moved in to Dubuque Sucks
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeNcanuck

Glad to hear all worked out well for ya weasel!! Good job
Nothing better that really good home cooked BBQ
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It