• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First sausage

Started by Redneckinthecity, November 04, 2010, 08:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redneckinthecity

This being a week of firsts (first brisket on Monday), I thought I'd give some sausage a try.  Had some Penzey's breakfast sausage seasoning and also got a sampler kit from Butcher and Packer, that had hot & sweet Italian, kielbasa, breakfast, and bratwurst.  Wanted to do something smoked, so chose to make some kielbasa on Tuesday.  I also used the book Charcuterie for some technique and detail, as the kit didn't give much guidance.

I had purchased a cheap stuffer (what I call a bull horn stuffer) on ebay.  It said it was cast iron, but more like pot metal.  The ram was a VERY poor fit and my sausage was pretty cold, very stiff and had little water (which may have been a problem - discussed  below).

Ground the meat, once through the large diameter plate, spread on a  cookie sheet with a brief stay in the freezer, sprinkled seasoning on the meat and ground again with the small plate using my KA grinder into the KA bowl and used the paddle to mix for about 4 mins.

Not only did it take everything that I had to push the mix through the stuffer, but it kept leaking out the back - and I also had trouble with the stuffer 'staining' the sausage.

Finally got it all in to the 30mm collagen casing that came with the kit.  Refrigerated overnight, smoked yesterday with hickory for about 2.5 hours at 180 to an IT of 150 degrees - per the Charcuterie recipe.

It's in the fridge now waiting for some vacuum bags.  The casing seems a bit dry and I noticed that this morning, the sausage sort of shriveled.

Here are some pics.  Would welcome any feedback on technique or otherwise - I didn't even bother to wash that cheap-o stuffer.  Threw that sucker right in the trash.  Hoping Santa will bring me a LEM vertical stuffer - those who've written here that the right equipment is key are ABSOLUTELY right!

3rensho

Nice sausage in spite of the stuffer.  I used to have one of those too and it got 86'd as well.  The ram leaked meat like a sieve.  A real piece of you know what.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pikeman_95

I am in the process of designing a simple to build and do it your self hydraulic stuffer. I am in the middle of our hunting season so will post pictures when I get back. This will probably interest you. Look at some of my stuffers on my other post. The stuffers you will see are much more complicated to build then the one I am designing.

Kirby

OU812

Quote from: Redneckinthecity on November 04, 2010, 08:30:50 AM

It's in the fridge now waiting for some vacuum bags.  The casing seems a bit dry and I noticed that this morning, the sausage sort of shriveled.

As far as the shriveled casing's go did you give them a bath in ice water after you hit the 150 IT?

After cookin drop them in ice water till the IT lowers to 100 then hang to dry for an hr or 2

If not the sausage is still cookin after you take em outta the smoker and the IT can keep rising 10 deg or better.

The sausage looks good enough to eat and that horn stuffer is junk. ;D

Redneckinthecity

Thanks - I didn't do the icewater bath, but I will next time.   Do you think it had anything to do with the amount of water I used (I maybe put 1/3 of a cup.  Recipe said to use up to 1 cup icewater do distribute seasonings, but I sprinkled it on before the 2nd grind like my dad used to do when he made country breakfast sausage.

OU812

Dont look like there was too much water in your mix.

Maybe try stuffin your casings a little more.

When you get your new stuffer try stuffing till the casing bursts, that way you know how much pressure it takes to  get it full.

Looks great for your first time and a crappy stuffer.

Redneckinthecity

I was really wondering if I should have added more water than I did.

I would have had to stand on the handle to get it that full with that piece of $%^&*() stuffer! 

RAF128

I would suspect that your mix was too dry.    I usually stuff mine right after I'm finish mixing.    I don't refriderate as it gets too cold and the mix starts to set with the cure in it.    Stuff first then refridge.

Habanero Smoker

Nice sausage. One observation, some of those wrinkles look like they were caused by air pockets. After you stuff the sausage, look for "bubbles" underneath the casings. Those are air pocket, it won't harm anything, but will cause blemishes on the sausage after they are cooked. After stuffing, check for air pockets, and when you find one just prick it with a small pointed object to release the trapped air.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sailor

Nice job on your sausage.  As has been posted the wrinkles look like they were caused by air pockets.  Nothing wrong with that except the looks.  The thing that works for me is to use the Bradley to dry the sausage and to apply smoke.  Once I have applied the smoke then I take them out and give them a hot bath in water that is maintained at 160 and bring the IT to 155.  It is a lot faster and keeps the sausage plump and juicy.  Not saying this is the way to do it but it is just the way that I like to do my sausages.  Keep doing what you are doing and post you hints as we are all here to help each other.

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

smokeNcanuck

I say two thumbs UP!!
Looks mighty nice for you first attempt.  When I started (which was not that long ago, I'm still a green horn) I bought the LEM 5# vertical.
I really like it, don't think you would regret getting one.  That said it is always fun to make your own, I am excited to see Pikeman 95's plans ;D ;D
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It