• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt-less and Brisket-less

Started by pkadare, July 08, 2005, 08:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkadare

I'm looking for some help from my fellow Canadians, especially any in the west end of the GTA. I've spent a very fruitless day trying to find a butt and/or a brisket with no real luck. Where do you all buy these from (US won't help me)? I thought I  might be able to get the butts in cryovac from Costco, but while  they had center loin in that packaging, there were no butts to be had. No briskets either!
Help!

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

Cold Smoke

Hey PK- have you checked with your local butcher? We don't get a whole lot in cryovac packages in Manitoba either. I usually call him up and ask him to prepare me an untrimmed brisket, slab of pork belly or a pork butt (bone in or deboned) of a specific weight- and presto!

Always fresh and usually a fair price. Best of luck!

Cold Smoke

Eat This

You dont have it that rough....I'd take a local bitcher anyday over Costco or Sams......I'd love to build a realationship with a butcher....unfortunately even here in Dallas we have 1 in 25 miles

whitetailfan

Check out your local safeway or sobeys.
I have not found brisket, but have not looked, I did one of our own this last year, and its my only try.
I can get pinics or butts usually packaged at Safeway, and if you're having trouble, just ask to speak with one of the meat cutters, and they have always built what I needed.  Usually have some shoulders on hand.  Sorry it's not more specific, but I have not had trouble before.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

The Great Canadian Superstore usually has pork butt in their large meat section. I don't shop for meat there anymore because they have been busted twice for redating their meat. (I think this is a problem only with the local store here in Victoria as I can't believe a successful chain would be that stupid) We are blessed in this area with about 4 good local butchers so I have some options . Another thing to try is if there are any small cattle operations in southern Ontario. (I see you're from Burlington)My brother runs a gourmet hot dog joint in Calgary and is just starting to sell bbq as well. He was delighted to find that he can get organic brisket from a small ranch for cheap cheap cheap because it's tough to find a market for that particular cut.Or it could be because they're all drunk out there and don't give a s%^&, 'cause it's stampede week![8D] Finally, if you have any independent full size grocery stores they often have there own butchers who will put some cuts aside for you.
T2

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />gourmet hot dog<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Isn't that roughly equivalent to "government intelligence"?[:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Chez-re the "gourmet hot dog" --Normally yes, I usually pass on the hot dogs but I must admit these are pretty good. For instance, he uses venison as the meat in his chili for his chili dogs--it's not your usual hot dog stand. The SOB won't give me the exact spices for the sauce on his other dogs--but I'll worm it out of him.[}:)]
T2