• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help With Olives From Scratch

Started by jiggerjams, November 12, 2010, 05:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Hey everyone,

Can anyone help me out with a how to make olives recipe? I am fortunate enough to have a friend that works at the food  terminal and when I got home today after watching the regional finals highschool football championship< I found a box (500-800?) of fresh olives with a bunch of garlic, jalapanos and onion in a bag. If you have a proven recipe, links, or suggestions you would like to share that would be great.

And I thought I haad the weekend off :)

JJ

classicrockgriller

WOW! You have to post PICS of this.

Jalapeno Olives are my weakness.

I drink the juice too. ;D

squirtthecat

RAF128

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2010, 05:47:49 PM
WOW! You have to post PICS of this.

Jalapeno Olives are my weakness.

I drink the juice too. ;D
I drink a juice too that uses olives.   Just not part of the juice but I put them in it :D.

jiggerjams

Ok CRG I will do my best to post pics. So far I have taken one pic of the ingredients given. When I opened the bag there was 2 talks of celery I didn't know was in there (sweet!).

I will map my travels and post them for you all. The only instruction I have received so far is to rinse/soak the olives for 5 days, changing the water daily. After which I will need to receive further instruction. I was told in a quick blurb what to do after the soak and it was something like making a salt based rub (marinade) that included garlic, onion, celery, carrot and maybe other stuff. Then in na jar with some OO but not much as the olives will release there own oil.

Well here I go surfin'

On a Quest,
JJ

jiggerjams

After surfin I caught a wave and this is what I landed on shore with.

http://winewriter.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/how-to-make-greek-olives-at-home/

I am using this as a foundation and I am going to build on it by adding the jalapenos and celery.  Thoughts?

3rensho

I just finished a batch of olives.  I prefer to lye (NaOH) cure them.  It's a simple process.  Just Google lye cured olives and you'll get a lot of hits.  I've also cured them by just packing them in salt until they shrivel and turn black and then store them in evoo.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

After you brine them you may want to add this recipe to your list:

Marinated Smoked Olives

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)