More Cheese

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 18, 2010, 06:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Cool day today and put the amaze-n-smoker to work with apple dust. Put head country on some of the blocks  ;D

Sealed and ready to sleep  ;D

bears fan

I'm so jealous.  I'm gun shy to try another batch after my first batch was a flop.  I'm getting enough courage to try it again after I see this.

TMB

Quote from: bears fan on November 18, 2010, 06:33:26 PM
I'm so jealous.  I'm gun shy to try another batch after my first batch was a flop.  I'm getting enough courage to try it again after I see this.
What happend to make it a flop?
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

BuyLowSellHigh

Now that's a load of cheese! 

You've been a busy man!  How many smokers /cookers you had running today ? 
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

bears fan

I think it got to hot, not really sure, but willing to try again.  Tasted like ash tray even after a couple months in the fridge.  Although, just busted out some mozzarella that has been vac sealed since March and it's pretty good.

It's getting cold out, so I'm debating if I even need to build a cold smoke box or not.

Thunder Fish

If the smoker gets above 80 F your cheese is wasted I find,oils start to run out of it,I'd diffidently go with a cold smoker box even if it is just cardboard box.......my self I made one out of stainless that has a pan on top for ice/ice water and a huge pan inside of it also,c/w 3 baffles in it,on a good day I can cool down the smoker with this set up and also have to extend the vent (4 ft or so) to get the cold smoke flowing  ::)

TestRocket

So the evidence will soon show you do cut the cheese! Passing through N AL anytime soon? Looks real good!    ;D

pensrock

QuoteIf the smoker gets above 80 F your cheese is wasted I find,oils start to run out of it
I do not really agree with this statement. It may be true for some cheeses but I do about 100 pounds each year and I try to keep the temp 85-95 degrees and it comes out great. Now velveeta is a different story and I like to stay 70 degrees or so as well as some Swiss cheeses seem to oil out at a lower temp, but I have had great results in the 90 degree range.

I agree to go with a cold smoke setup, the puck burner can cause the temp to go high and its much easier to control with the cold setup.

As far as still tasting like ash even after a couple months in the fridge, maybe try a lighter wood? Shorter smoking time? Some peoples tastes are much different and certain things really stand out to the taste buds. I took some smoked cheeses and pepperoni to a football party and everyone raved how good it was, but one friend thought it tasted ashy. I asked him if he ever eats anything smoked and he said no cause he does not care for the taste. I think for him most anything smoked relates to an ashy taste.