• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hillshire Farms Cheddarwurst

Started by pwaldman, November 11, 2010, 07:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwaldman

Love this stuff!  Anyone have a good recipe for something similar?

Pete

deb415611

I don't know the hillshire farms cheddarwurst but I know alot of people will do a regular sausage recipe and add the high temp cheddar cheese that some of the places that sell sausage supplies sell.  It doesn't melt into the sausage like regular cheese.

Try googling len poli -   his site has lots of recipes, he may have one that would give you similar results

squirtthecat

This is more of a fresh Italian sausage.   You could add some Cure #1 and use high temp cheese.

QuoteSicilian/Italian Sausage with Wine and Cheese    

8 lbs. pork butts 2 lbs. lean beef (chuck is okay)    
2 tbsp. powdered dextrose
1 tbsp. cracked black pepper    
3 1/2 ozs. salt
3 tbsp. cracked fennel seed    
2 tbsp. red crushed peppers
1 pint wine—chablis    
2 ozs. imported Romano Pecorino    

The Romano cheese must be broken or cut up into smaller sized pieces so that it fits into your grinder.    
Grind cheese through a 3/8" grinder plate at least twice.This breaks it down to a powdery consistency    
so it can be mixed easily with the meat. Grind meat through a 3/8" grinder plate and place in a mixing    
bowl.Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly until evenly distributed. Stuff into 32-35mm hog    
casing.You may also make this sausage in patties if you like.This particular sausage tastes best if it is    
cooked shortly after it is made. It is a good idea to prepare only what you can use up in a couple days.    
This sausage may be frozen, but the longer it is kept frozen, the more dominant the Romano cheese flavor will become.    

Courtesy of..

pwaldman

Thanks for the feedback.  I already have several bags of hi-temp cheese, also thought of just adding to a regular sausage recipe.  For this particular type of cheese sausage there are no apparent chunks of cheese and you see a slight oozing after they are grilled.  When you eat them it seems as if the cheese is almost infused as part of the overall formula.  These are also fully cooked smoked sausages. I'm trying to get some guidance on different approaches to how folks add/incorporate cheese into their recipes so I can start experimenting but I want to minimize obvious mistakes before I blindly head down this path.

Pete

BuyLowSellHigh

Don't know anything about the Hillshire Farms stuff, but here is a smoked sausage with Cheddar from Poli's website.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

3rensho

Here is a recipe I found on Len Poli's site for a sausage with substantial cheese and some Jalapeño
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

You might try just putting some grated cheddar in your favorite brat recipe, adding Cure and then smoking.   Reheat on the grill/etc.

CheddarWurst®
Smoked Sausage with Wisconsin Cheese

Ingredients:
MEAT INGREDIENTS (PORK, BEEF), WATER, WISCONSIN CHEDDAR CHEESE (CULTURED PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATO [COLOR]), CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SODIUM LACTATE, NATURAL SPICES, ISOLATED SOY PRODUCT, DEXTROSE,  ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM DIACETATE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), SODIUM NITRITE. CONTAINS MILK, SOY

Sailor

I am by no means an expert in the sausage smoking thing but from my experience I found that using regular cheese in a sausage and smoking it ....it melts and the oils drip out.  I screwed up many a batch of jalapeno & Cheddar using regular cheddar cheese.  All the oils dripped out and the taste was not what I was looking for.  High melt cheese was my answer.  Another thing that I found is that I only leave my sausage in the OBS for the length of time to get the smoke on and then I put them in a pot of water that I have going at 160 degrees and I give them a hot bath until they reach the IT of 152 to 155. 

It is my understanding that the commercial makers of smoked sausage apply smoke and then off to a steam cabinet they go to finish off.  The sausage is not spending hours and hours at 160 to 170 to cook but are flashed cooked. 

I have never tried my method use a regular cheddar to see if it will work.  It may be possible to smoke reg cheddar and then to give it a hot bath and that will just marry the cheese without separating the oil.  If you do try that I would love to know how it turns out.  High Melt cheese is expensive. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pwaldman

Thanks for the ideas and links.  I will start the experiments next weekend and let you know the results. :)

pwaldman

As promised I started my experiments this weekend.  Here is how I proceeded step by step:

- Beef and pork mix (50/50), 2lbs total
- Leggs spicy sausage mix #112
- Insta Cure #1
- Soy Protein Concentrate
- Corn Syrup Solids
- Sodium Phosphate
- MSG

Mix all in water except SPC, mixed in with meat and then mixed in the SPC last.

Emulsified in a food processor adding ice water, added in the hi-temp cheddar and then added back into the food processor for a short spin.

Stuffed using hog casings and tying off about every 5 inches.

Dryed in smoker for 1 hour at 130oF.  Smoked for 2 hours with oak.

Poached in hot water until 160oF.

Let bloom for a couple of hours and then refridgerated.

Next day grilled up one for the taste test.

Grilled up great and looked good when I cut it open.

Put it on a hard roll, some German mustard and..........tasted chalky! >:(

I guess I must have messed up the amount of SPC I added or my conversion is way off.  I used 3 TBS/lb.

I'd appreciate any advise especially on the amount of SPC.  I did not pack it and converted from the suggestions I read of 5oz per 10lbs or about 1 cup which I calculated to be .1 cup per lb = 1.6 TBS.

Oh no, I just found my error (I think), for some reason I ended up doubling the SPC and put in 6 TBS instead of around 3!

Guess I'll try again during the next week.  Looks like sausage for Thanksgiving!

pwaldman

NePaSmoKer

Note:

MSG and SPC dont get along very well  :-\

Cut back on the SPC

pwaldman

Thanks.  Any suggestions as to how much SPC per pound?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pwaldman on November 21, 2010, 05:07:30 PM
Thanks.  Any suggestions as to how much SPC per pound?

Slightly less than 1 cup Unpacked SPC per every 5 lbs of meat. Or 1 cup of powdered nonfat dry milk (does not have to be put in grinder)

Mix the dry with 3/4 - 1 cup cold water. It will distribute and incorporate into the meat better than just adding the dry to the meat.