• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Im looking for a real good smoked Sausage Receipe Any Help ? 1st timer here ??

Started by wetzel1977, November 27, 2010, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetzel1977

I'm looking to do Some smoked sausage for the 1st time, looking for a real tasty recipe with amounts of seasonings and meat quantities. I never made homemade sausage i just smoked it for Friends but it was venison. Anyone have anything?  Also what size casing should i use ? Not looking to do summer sausage just yet. Hit me with what you have or just share it on here for others 2 try. Thanks and Happy holidays Just did 10lbs of chesse again tonight !! ummmmm
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

KevinG

The easiest way to make sausage your first time is to buy one of the kits from LEM or Hi Mountain. They make it easy cause all the ingredients are included along with instructions. Once you get the hang of it, you can modify, or head out on your own with a little more confidence.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

wetzel1977

I heard that  Hi Mountain is kind of bland , The Italian and the polish sausage is that true?
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Friar_Tuck

I have always found that I really like the mixes that I get from sausagemaker.com, plus they have the directions right on the jar.
So far I have used their Polish sausage, venison salami, summer sausage, and dried sausage sticks.  I always went into it figuring their mixes would give me a good place to start from, and that I would alter from there, but so far I have never felt the need to alter, as they have always seemed right on the mark for me.  If you do order from them, make sure you order some instacure #1, and some soy protein.
Be careful though, it seems once I started down that road, I keep going back over and over!
Jim

wetzel1977

BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Tenpoint5

Here is a favorite of mine. It is a fresh sausage and not smoked. If your wanting to use venison in it I would suggest 3lbs of venison and 2lbs of ground pork. The nice part about starting with small 5 pound batches is your only going to get about 17 6 inch links. This is a good thing because if you don't like the taste you haven't wasted 25 pounds of meat. You can also make adjustments for the next time if you feel you need to change something. Such as you didn't think it had enough moisture in it you can change the 70/30 Venison/pork to maybe 60/40 or 50/50 until you get the taste you like then you can ramp up the recipe to make more. 25 pounds will get in the neighborhood of 110-120 sausage links depending on how many beers you drink during the process.

Fresh Garlic Sausage

5 lb      Pork
1 Cup   Wine, White, Dry
5 tsp    Salt
2 Tbs    Garlic, Fresh minced (Increase or Decrease as desired!)
2 tsp    Sugar
2 tsp    Onion Powder
1 ½ tsp  Pepper, Black
¾ tsp     Coriander, ground
¾ tsp     Nutmeg, ground
32mm   Hog casings

1.   Cut the meat into 2 inch pieces and partially freeze.
2.   Grind pork with 3/8" (10mm) holes.
3.   Combine the meat with the salt, and the remaining ingredients.
4.   Stuff the casing loosely; DO NOT overfill the casings.
5.   Twist the sausage casing into 5-6" long sausages.
6.   Puncture any visible air bubbles with a sharp needle.
7.   Allow to air dry at room temperature for several hours.
8.   Refrigerate for up to 4 days or vacuum pack and freeze.

Len Poli Sausage Recipe
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I agree with FT, sometimes you can find sausage seasoning that fits your needs. For example I love to make Bratwurst, I ordered Penzy's Bratwurst Sausage Seasoning and never found a need to use any other. But 10.5 has posted a good recipe, and there are several listed in this forum. You will also find a few on the recipe site:
Sausage Recipes

While you are ordering from Sausage Maker, you should order your casings also. The type and size of the casing mainly depends on what you want. For most of my sausages I like to use 32 - 35mm hog casings. They are about 1 1/4 inch in diameter; about the same size as commercial Italian sausage you see in supermarkets.

The following link gives you information on the various casings:
Casing and other info.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KevinG

I really like the Italian HM kit, the Polish sausage is a little bland, but that's kinda the nature of the beast.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

RAF128

Quote from: wetzel1977 on November 27, 2010, 07:27:02 PM
I heard that  Hi Mountain is kind of bland , The Italian and the polish sausage is that true?
I don't find them bland at all.   Depends on what kit you get.    I've used several and found them good.    Never tried the LEM kits 'cause they're not sold in stores here.    have to order on line.   

wetzel1977

I never had any HM products that is just what i heard but i will probally buy  some in the future for my own critiquing. Thanks for all the replies. HEY 10 Point did you ever try to smoke that recipe?
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Tenpoint5

Nope Never smoked it. It falls under the "It works don't fix it" catagory
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wetzel1977

I hear ya there tell my wife that 1 !! I ordered a polish (kelbo) kit and a Italian kit from the sausage maker on line  I can't wait to make these kits up ! Looks like it comes with everything i need but the meat and my appetite for anything smoked !! SMOKE KELBO UMMMM !! I am not going to use the liquid smoke cause i  am smoking these anyway Here is what you get :
Contains Natural Hog Casings, 32-35MM
• Polish Sausage Seasoning
• Hickory Liquid Smoke
• Ins ta Cure No. 1
• Soy Protein Concentrate
• Complete Instructions

Makes 25 Lbs. Can be made fresh or smoked
Itl is the same just a different seasoning
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder