First Bacon

Started by SamuelG, November 29, 2010, 03:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

Cure#1 and Cure#2 just went in for 3 hours of maple cold smoke. 

Then cure#1 will be cooked till 150F is reached following the recipe by Tenpoint5.

Cure#2 will follow the Triple Smoked recipe by Habanero Smoker.
SamuelG

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SamuelG

ONE IS DONE!!!!!

I will slice it later when UPS delivers my slicer.  :-)

Cure#2 still needs two more sessions of smoke.

Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

jiggerjams

looking good Samuel. Can't wait to see the triple smoke finished and hear thow it tastes.

SamuelG

This is crazy good.

Fried some up and just had it.  WOW
It truly tastes amazing!!!

As you can see my bacon is lacking in thickness, is this normal?  Should I ask for a different type next time?

SamuelG

SamuelG

Tenpoint5

That Bacon looks just fine my friend just fine!!  How did your house smell after frying that maple bacon up? Nobody in my house can sleep once I start making bacon. Hunger sets in and they come out of bed in a hurry.

BTW open your vent a little bit more. I noticed the two black dots on your "One is Done" picture. Looks like the dreaded Black Rain was starting to fall. Black rain is a concentration of creosote in the vent that has been liquefied because of too much moisture in the cabinet. As it condences it will "rain" or drop on your meat and it tastes NASTY!! Been there done that got a T-shirt.  It is a common misconception that after the smoke you can close the vent down to keep more heat in. It doesn't work and has ill effects. Most of our vents are permanently stuck in the 3/4 to full open position.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SamuelG

Tenpoint5,

Smell? It's more like an addiction to taste!!  It truly has a great taste.

Yup, you nailed it ... Two black dots were caused by the vent.  I might just take it off so it does not happen again.  Muchas Gracias

Do you freeze the bacon to slice it?
How long will cured meats last in the fridge?  If vacuum packed?

Thanks.  SamuelG

SamuelG

Tenpoint5

No I dont freeze to slice. After an overnight in the fridge the bacon usually sets up well enough to slice. For a Bacon piece the size of yours I might get three meals out of it.(There's 6 of us)  So one might get plastic wrapped and the other two I would vac seal then freeze. The plastic one might make it through the week but it never seems to make it through a second weekend.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Nice job on the bacon there Samuel.   ;D

Caneyscud

WOW!!!

I've got to get me some sides

I'll trade my kingdom for some!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 09, 2010, 06:51:54 AM
WOW!!!

I've got to get me some sides

I'll trade my kingdom for some!

Road trip on up here Caney I think I can find some bellies some where around here.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

OU812

Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon!!!!!!!

I loves BACON!!

Looks grrrrrreat.