Brisket and bark?

Started by utahsmokin, December 14, 2010, 09:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utahsmokin

So I'm doing a brisket this weekend in my OBS and I wanted to know what you guys think is the key to achieving that thick, dark, bark and and moisture level that everyone wants. Is it the rub, cook temp, time, what do you think?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

Ka Honu

1.  Trim properly (leave decent fat cap). 
2.  Some will say mustard slather helps.  Some won't.
3.  Cook low, slow, and naked.

SoCalBuilder

Utah - That's a great question and I look forward to some of the real veterans here to chime in. I have done a grand total of two brisket and both turned out great. I have used the mustard slather followed by the rub both times. I have done mine with the fat side up and put the trimmed fat above to drip down and kinda marinate the slab below. They have both turned out very moist and that's the way I prefer it. I've had some in local places here that I thought were a little dry and almost fell apart too easily. Whose to say what's right or wrong.

As far as the bark is concerned, I would guess that it is a combination of the slather and rub combined with the slow smoke. I would be interested to hear from others that use other smokers that I would guess don't have the water bowl that would introduce moisture to the smoke. Is the bark drier when done that way?

Good luck and thanks for asking the question!

classicrockgriller

If you haven't read Pachanga's write up on Brisket, you need to.

Not saying I follow everything he does, but I do like the fact that

He continues to add smoke to the Brisket which "helps" set the Bark.

SouthernSmoked

Hello Utah,

Here is one that I did not to long ago.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18786.0

Hope this helps!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

utahsmokin

Thanks this is helping keep the comments coming!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

DTAggie

I use no CYM, just rub.  Rolled 8 hrs of smoke on last one and it was fantastic.  Fat cap up whole time.

Caneyscud

Bark will occur naturally and with just salt and pepper.  It really softens and becomes mushy if you use foil or almost non-existent depending on when you apply the foil.  So if you want good thick bark, would not use foil.

You can build up more bark by using slather, additional application of rubs, mopping with a mop with high solid content, or a combination thereof. 

A slather of CYM makes a good base as my fellow brisket lover Pachanga expouses.  However, since I'm so prissy and don't like to get all that yellow stuff between my fingers and under my nails - I go about adding CYM another way.  It is included in my mop.  It also has a high amount of butter (or margarine) solids .  My standard mop - butter, beer, cym, onions sliced, lemons (sliced), garlic granulated, vinegar, lots of coarse ground black pepper, salt and sometimes ground up jalapenos.  Will build up a pretty good bark.  My brisket cooks usually go like this.  Sprinkle salt, pepper, cayenne on brisket, put in smoker.  Smoke for a few hours to set the seasoning (so it doesn't wash off when I apply mop) , then every hour mop that baby good until done. 

Or can do as one of the most famous rib joints does (Rendezvous).  They use a thin mop, but after mopping they will also sprinkle more rub on once or twice.  This will build up a bark very fast, but you have to have the correct rub.  Too much salt - too salty outcome.  Too much pepper - too hot for some,  etc...

You could slather and apply generous rub, them mop!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"