• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butts for all

Started by GusRobin, December 10, 2010, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

The butts ready to be removed

Here are two of the butts. I didn't get a chance to take pics of the other three. In hindsight I should have trimmed the fat a little more. Oh well, live and learn,. The quality control poeces sure tasted good!

These were sure stubborn. I took these out these at 24 1/2 hours. Two were still at 178 when I took them out, but I had to leave for an appointment. I will be reheating them so it should be okay.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

Lookin Gooood.

Sometimes the fork test will tell ya when there done before the IT.

Just throw in this out there.

GusRobin

After FTC for 3 hrs of FTC started pulling. Three of the 5 pulled easisly and were tender and moist. Two were still somewhat tough so I re-filed them and they are in the oven. I'll check them when their IT reaches 190*
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

GusRobin

Update - took the last 2 out of the oven when they hit 195*. They were much more tender than before so I am glad I took the time to do that instead of just pulling them before.
Ended up with 19lbs 6 oz of meat after being pulled - started with 42lbs  and about 3 oz. So that was a large shrinkage.

Pic of the last one pulled. Didn't take pics of the other 4, just imagine this four more times ::)

Time to go to bed. Disappointed that I didn't get a chance to do the brisket, but I guess I'll have something to do next week.

BuyLowSellHigh

Impressive load of butts, GR!  Very nicely done!

Wish you were doing my Christmas lunch.    :)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Schmidty

This is one Christmas luncheon you know I am gonna crash in on ...... you are gonna bring some homemade "sauce from the boss" to go with these beautiful butts .... right?

SouthernSmoked

Hey Gus,

The Butts look awesome!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Ostranza

Those butts are awesome! I'm doing my first smoke and first butt right now. Hope it turns out half as well as yours did! How long does it take to pull the pork?

Gettin up at 4am to take mine out....hopefully!

GusRobin

after you take it from the smoker at about 190-195* IT, FTC it for a couple of hours (FTC_ wrap in foil, wrap in towel and put in a cooler (no ice, min room temp). I used twwo large forks to pull and it took maybe 3-5 minutes per butt max.

Ostranza

Sweet! I did the FTC for about 4 hours and grabbed it to take to work for a pot luck. Huge hit! Got compliments all around and one employee just said hes stealing one of the leftover tupperwares full of pork and I just said "make sure you clean it before you bring it back!" He was estactic.

Only got my IT up to 180 at 235 smoker temp in 15hrs but had to get it done! Interested to see what happens when I get it up to the 190 range. Pics of mine are goin in my 9lber post!