• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Some temp. problems

Started by OMC-MOOSE, December 18, 2010, 07:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMC-MOOSE

Guys...I just seasoned my new Bradley and during the process, I messed around with the sliding heat control and had the temps between 150* and 200* then got it dialed in for the seasoning process at 150*.  Now that I have loaded 8 racks of jerky strips my plan was to dry at about 140* for 1 hr. then bump the heat to 150* and turn on the smoke. 

However, since adding the meat and messing with the slider control and seeing that the heat was not going up, I have the heat set the whole way up and I can't get the temp above 125* or so.  It's been on high for about 45 minutes now and I turned on the SG about 15 mins. ago (not sure if that produces any heat or not if not actually advancing a puck).  The outside temp is 20* with no wind.  The vent is the whole way open and the pan is 1/2 full of water.  I am running an extension cord (appliance type-the heavy gray ones) that is about 8-10 ft. long.   I don't know what else to do?  It's been 1 hr. now the meat has been in without smoke.  I am afraid to open the door and rotate the racks as the temp will crash and will take forever to come back up again.  I can try the brick in the smoker thing...if I can find one to fit Anything else?

Update...since turning on the SG 20 mins. ago the temp has come up to about 130*  I don't understand how I can smoke @ 150* for 1-2 hrs. when I open the door every 1/2 hour or so to rotate the racks, it will take at least an hour to regain the heat.
NRA Life Member

RAF128

How many pounds of meat?    Likely not that much but the meat is probably cold and that helps keep the temp down.    As it warms you should see and increase in temp.

OMC-MOOSE

RAF...5 lbs. of whole muscle meat which was cold but not refrigerator cold...somewhere between room temp and "refrigerator cold"  It just now hit 150*...it took almost 2 hrs. to hit 150* since I loaded in the meat.
NRA Life Member

pensrock

I only rotate the racks about every 2-3 hours.

RAF128

5 lbs of cold meat will make a difference.   Also you thermometer is at the top of the cabinet.   Most of your meat is below it.   The temp at the bottom is likely a lot warmer.    If you have a temp probe, hang it below the meat.   I'm sure you'll see a difference.

OMC-MOOSE

No temp probe here yet...I pulled the first batch and the jerky that was on the bottom 2 racks and to the rear (over the element) was done (some was overly done).  I took everything out and moved the remaining jerky to the dehydrator and loaded in the 2nd batch of 5 lbs.  I think I am going to let the smoker heat with the next batch in it till it gets close to 150* regardless of how long it takes and then rotate the racks front to back and top to bottom THEN start the smoke (5 pucks) then rotate again immediately after the smoke is done.  After that I will rotate perhaps every 2-2 1/2 hrs. or so as I will be drying the 2nd batch on the smoker as the dehydrator will still have some of the 1st batch on. 

I see now I need to get the extra rack kit (I am inverting 4 now) as well as add a 2nd element just to aid in recovery heat time.

This process seems to be a lot of trial and error; especially for a newbie, but it is still quite enjoyable nonetheless!!
NRA Life Member