• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bisquette savers

Started by rickb54, November 24, 2010, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickb54

I'll be buying an OBS this week.  I don't understand the purpose or need for for the metal bisquette savers.  Could someone explain it to me?

Jim O

First of all - Welcome to the wonderful world of Bradley , Rick.

The discs add weight to the briquettes in the SG,and push the last two onto the burner,rather use a bricquette for this purpose,as they usually end up getting partially burnt.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

SoCalBuilder

Welcome Rickb54 - Jim O has it right. When the smoke generator finishes it's cycle, it leaves one bisquette on the burner. That one can sit there and continue to put out kind of an acrid smoke that you don't want. The puck next to it will also burn slightly. It is generally salvageable and you could use it the next time.The third puck is left in the generator and really receives no heat. Some people load two bubba pucks on top of the pile that you want to use and then another bisquette to push the two bubbas out into the smoker. I just use three bubbas, so that I don't have to think that hard.  Long winded but hopefully helpful. Enjoy and we look forward to pics of your first endeavor ;D

TedEbear

Quote from: rickb54 on November 24, 2010, 07:56:24 AM
I'll be buying an OBS this week.  I don't understand the purpose or need for for the metal bisquette savers.  Could someone explain it to me?

After researching the price of some of the 'genuine' bisquette savers I made my own out of some scrap copper pipe they were tossing out at work.  Although hollow in the middle they seem to do the job of pushing the last few pucks onto the burner and they do not hang up in the slide.  Plus, the price (free) was pretty good.   ;) 

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TedEbear on December 26, 2010, 11:36:28 PM
Quote from: rickb54 on November 24, 2010, 07:56:24 AM

After researching the price of some of the 'genuine' bisquette savers I made my own out of some scrap copper pipe they were tossing out at work.  Although hollow in the middle they seem to do the job of pushing the last few pucks onto the burner and they do not hang up in the slide.  Plus, the price (free) was pretty good.   ;) 

Not saying this is wrong and I am not a bio-chemist but I do know that not all metals are

not supposed to be exposed to the temp of of the puck burner for long periods of time.

If you have done your homework on this and are comfortable then you done good.

mow_delon

I just used a chunk of exaust pipe that was the same diameter as the pucks and cut rings.  The only thing is to make sure they are cut straight and are at least as thick as a puck.  If they are thinner or have much of a slope to them, the ring above it will come down too far and plug the push arm (which is not good).

goblism

To be honest I fully don't get the reasoning of the bubba pucks, I plan accordingly and always use the half burnt puck as my first puck.  If I want 2 hours of smoke I load 8 pucks as well as the half burnt one from the smoke before.  My burner only wastes half a puck and it actually doesn't get wasted since I reuse that puck on the next smoke

Sailor

Quote from: goblism on December 30, 2010, 10:46:55 AM
To be honest I fully don't get the reasoning of the bubba pucks, I plan accordingly and always use the half burnt puck as my first puck.  If I want 2 hours of smoke I load 8 pucks as well as the half burnt one from the smoke before.  My burner only wastes half a puck and it actually doesn't get wasted since I reuse that puck on the next smoke
That is what I did before my girls got me the round savers from Auber.  I would forget to go knock off the puck on the burner and it was ash but I could not tell the difference in a smoke.  Now that I have the savers I am glad that I have them.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.