• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

org bradly smoker or Digital?

Started by tequillaeagle, December 28, 2010, 07:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tequillaeagle

This has prob been asked many times before  but which one is better and why  and is it worth the 200 buck difference?

the org bradly smoker or the Digital?

3rensho

Yeah, it has been asked numerous times.  There is no right answer.  Depends on what features you want and if size is important the only 6 rack is the digital.  I have an OBS with a PID and for me it is a great combination.  Others love their digitals. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Keymaster

I like to hang my sausage stix instead of racking them, then I don't have to do a whole bunch of flipping, turning . rotating and such. The six rack allows plenty of room for hanging with out hitting the v-tray. I have not used a 4 rack so I can't really compare the two.  :)

tequillaeagle

ahh well thats good to know, i didnt know that the 4 rack didnt come in digital.  whats a PID? how does it work,  verry new to smoking

3rensho

Digital wise there are both 4 and 6 rack models.  The OBS only comes in a 4 rack model.  A PID is a type of temperature controller.  The OBS comes with a slide rheostat to adjust temp.  When you get used to it you can set temp. OK.  It's a lot easier with a PID.  The two digital models have an electronic temperature controller built into the smoke generator.  From what I have read it is not nearly as precise as a PID ( larger temperature swings).  Some use an  OBS by itself, some with an OBS with a PID (c'est moi).   Some with a DBS by itself and some with a DBS with PID.  If that sounds confusing it'll sort itself out when you use the unit and there will be many others along this thread to give you advice, relate their experience, etc.  My advice is to wait for a bit, search the forum and then decide.  Don't rush into it.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

GusRobin

the 4 rack comes digital or non-digital. The 6 rack is only digital. As said, it depends on your usage. I like my 4 rack OBS with the PID from auber. That combo is about the same price as a 4 rack digital. If you are going to do things like sausage that requires closer temp control, you will probably want a PID so figure that in your cost estimate. There are times I wish I had a 6 rack, but to me those times haven't yet outweighed the price differential. But it is a matter of personal preference and budget.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tequillaeagle

Rensho, Sounds like if i get either the OBS or the DBS then i can  get a PID for it? which in fact would negate the DBS? so the cheeper OBS would be the way to go and then Buy a DIP.  Does this sound like the way to go?  basicaly i just want to kno if the DBS is worth the extra Money over the OBS?

RAF128

I had an OBS wanted the extra room of the 6 rack.   I also thought the digital was the way to go.    Since then I learned that the digitals have their problems, most notably the temp swing.   Had a few "bugs" in it at first but got that squared away with the help from this forum and it's members.   I wanted tighter temp control especially when making sausage so I got a PID.    Everything works great now.

GusRobin

Quote from: tequillaeagle on December 28, 2010, 10:21:33 AM
Rensho, Sounds like if i get either the OBS or the DBS then i can  get a PID for it? which in fact would negate the DBS? so the cheeper OBS would be the way to go and then Buy a DIP.  Does this sound like the way to go?  basicaly i just want to kno if the DBS is worth the extra Money over the OBS?
I think it bils down to whether or not you want the extra room of the 6 rack and are willing to pay for it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Up In Smoke

I own 2 of the original Bradley 4 racks, and a PID controller. as stated by the others this combination works best to me, although i have not tried a digital.
Also as you cruise around the forum you will see many multiple Bradley owners and some very creative ways to use them all at once!
Right CRG  :D ;D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.