The smoking GODS have left me!

Started by bundy, January 03, 2011, 09:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

About the time you think you have it down, it all goes up in smoke.

Was doing my normal smoking week end and nothing seem to work out. First made some Andouille Sausage from the Sausage Makers pre mix seasoning.Pre heat 130* 2 hours smoke, bump 145* 2 hours, bump 165* 2 hours and 16 hours later IT still only 118* so I had to dunk them in the 160* bath fro 15 min. to get them to 152*. 
Used 15# moose, 10# 80/20 pork and 5# 50/50 pork. They looked very well done, seemed dried out, not much juice etc.

Then a few days earlier I made some moose jerky using NEPA's secret recipe, smoked 130* 2 hours, bump 145* 2 hours and was going to finish in the dehydrator but the meat looked like it crystallized or something, sprayed down with vege oil and put back in dehydrator for an hour , edible but not that good.

Do you think I need a new smoker, brain, life or all the above?? ???

Caneyscud

Neither.  But I would check out your thermo's

Everybody gets into a slump now and then.  Just have to keep swinging and doing things right.  The break out will come!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bundy

I have 2 extra thermos built into the Bradley, plus the PID and one extra probe, all showed close to each other. I'm thinking it all started with the moose meat, but it seems to have enough fat in it when I'm mixing??