Snack Stick Question

Started by rcger, January 04, 2011, 07:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I've seen references to using Buttermilk in your snack sticks.  Do you totally replace the water with Buttermilk?  What purpose does the Buttermilk serve?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

classicrockgriller

nepas says it gives it a twang taste.

But I'm sure he will answer this.

rcger

You can't argue with Nepas.  So, do you totally replace the water with the same quantity of buttermilk?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

classicrockgriller

He will have to give you his measurements, but it is part buttermilk and water.

( I think ;D )

NePaSmoKer

Here is what you will need (liquid) for 5 pounds.

1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbs water so you can mix the cure in it.  NOTE: Dint mix the cure into the buttermilk.
Mix the cure with the water until its dissolved. Add seasoning to buttermilk, mix well. Incorporate the seasoned buttermilk into the meat, mix well then add the 2 Tbs cure water into the seasoned meat and mix well again. Then its time to stuff and smoke.

Sailor

Quote from: rcger on January 04, 2011, 07:08:57 PM
I've seen references to using Buttermilk in your snack sticks.  Do you totally replace the water with Buttermilk?  What purpose does the Buttermilk serve?
I find that my sticks seem to have somewhat of a creamy texture when using buttermilk.  I prefer using buttermilk to just using water.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.