• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I need some book recomendations

Started by Bavind, January 03, 2011, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavind

I got a Amazon gift cert for Christmas and want to get a couple of books. Any suggestions? I am thinking the Kutas book looks good but not sure. Let me know

ArnieM

Kutas' book is good.  Also Charcuterie by Ruhlman.  Lot's of good info in those.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Ruhlman also has a book called Ratio.   I picked up a used copy for a song...   Looks interesting.

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 03, 2011, 04:17:55 PM

Ruhlman also has a book called Ratio.   I picked up a used copy for a song...   Looks interesting.

I didn't know you could sing squirt.  Meow?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jiggerjams

If you are looking for a book to complement your smoking and curing adventures I would like to recommend "Stickey Fingers and Tenderloins" by Ted Reader. He is Canada's Barbecue Guru. This book is one of my go to books for sure. You know the wing recipe and bbq spice mix I sent you in the Christmas exchange? It is his stuff. Everything else is equally fantastic from his "The best Burger" recipe to salad dressings (all killer), and ribs and steaks, deserts, soups, rubs, sauces etc. with a simple approach, or if you are up to it there are plenty of twists to try too. Ted does not pull any punches in this book.

Ted was the executive chef at the Skydome Hotel in Toronto for quite a while but now has a restaurant business in the Bahamas (can't blame him). He grew up in St. Jacobs Ontario and has quite the sense of humor. I took my kids to the food exhibition a couple of years ago and he had a booth there. As we approached he was talking to the crowd about his travels and how he grew to be a well known chef, griller, smoker. As we got to the front of the pack he was telling that some of the best experiences of coming up the food chain was girls would ask him to sign their breasts.... at this point Ted noticed my young boys in the crowd and redeemed himself by adding "their chicken breasts, they wanted me to sign their chicken breasts ;)". My boys were clueless but the crowd went electric. He is good people.

This past summer Ted gained Guiness World book of Records status for grilling the world's largest hamburger. I know that Adam off of Man vs. Food claims that a restaurant that he visited holds the record with a 180 lb burger, but this is wrong. Ted smashed that record by grilling a 600 lb. burger. Napoleon Grills ( I got one a 450 model;D) custom designed a two sided grill that would rotate 360 degrees eliminating the need to flip the burger. Ted holds fundraising fuctions where he will cook this burger plus fixings for $3000, approximately $10 a head. Fair price for this kind of foodie experience in my books.

Sorry to drag on but this book excites me, his achievements excite me, and the successes he has past on to me are equal to the successses I have had by tapping in to this Bradley forum. Do yourself a favor and at least go pick up the book, give it a scan, and make your own decision. I am confident that anyone will not be disappointed.

JJ 

hal4uk

"Sizzlin' on The Bayou with Lady Chatterly", by Dr. Ron Beaux.
Kinda complicated, but the pictures help.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Two good but fairly inexpensive books are "Smoke and Spice" and "Home Sausage Making".

Also there is a section in the recipe site on book recomendations.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a list of books that are popular with many members.
Reference Books

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 03, 2011, 04:17:55 PM

I also have that book, and find it very useful when developing recipes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Here is a list of Books that I picked up recently:

• Charcuterie
  • Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing; 4th Edition
  • Home Sausage Making
  • The Complete Book of Butchering, Smoking, Curing, and Sausage Making
  • The Sausage Making Cookbook
  • Bruce Adell's Complete Sausage Book

Hope this helps!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

dman4505

My go to book is Smoke & Spice by Cheryl & Bill Jamison, lot of great recipes and info on cooking with smoke.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.