pastrami plans changed

Started by grnhs, January 04, 2011, 07:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

Had a packer briskit brining for 2.5 weeks.
was going to pastrami it this weekend but the jet stream is pushing adeep cold front in on us this weekend so it gets done Thursday while the temps are in the 20's and 30's.
Anybody have a great pastrami rub. I've got 48 hrs till it goes in the smoker.
PID will have to take care of it while I'm at work ???

3rensho

Well, after I cure the corned beef brisket I just use a mix of coarsely ground black pepper and coriander seed, 1:1, slap a good layer on and then smoke that puppy.  I don't need anything else.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KyNola

Go to this website www.susanminor.org  It is the recipe website for this forum.  Look for the pastrami recipe by Habanero Smoker.  His dry pastrami rub that he uses after he brines the brisket is exactly what I have been using.  It's a killer.

grnhs

I do see that black pepper and corriander seed are the common thread in alll the recipes i find.
I have ground corrander, but there is no corriander seed for sale in my neck of the woods.
KyNola I do have Habs recipe, thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: grnhs on January 04, 2011, 02:23:38 PM
I do see that black pepper and corriander seed are the common thread in alll the recipes i find.
I have ground corrander, but there is no corriander seed for sale in my neck of the woods.

I had to get it at whole foods.

Your other option is online.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I made this once and it was great. Bought another corned beef brisket and going to do it again someday;
October 18 2009 did a corned beef brisket.Temp was to hit 60.Using maple smoke for 4 hours.
Made a rub using;
2 tblsp ground pepper corn
1/2 tblsp ground coriander seed.Next time buy the ground one already
1/2 tblsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
Took corned beef out of package and drained the juice.Rinsed and put in plastic
container. Put in frig for 36 hours and changed the water about 3-4 times to get salt out.
Put rub on and back in frig overnight.Took out and let get to room temp. Started smoke for 1 hour
at 160 then 175 for 1.5 hours then took to 240 for 7 hours or until IT hits 170. Hit 170 after
9 hours. Took out and FTC for 4 hours. Put in frig overnight to slice up thin. Came out
excellent.

Up In Smoke

This one works very well for me.
1 1/2 tablespoons mixed peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
(changed from 2 Tb black only)
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
(changed from sweet)
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon garlic powder
rough grind peppercorns and coriander before mixing into rub.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Habanero Smoker

I prefer to roast the seeds and use a coarse grind for the rub. You can use ground coriander, just reduce the amount to two thirds to half; example if you plan to use 1 tablespoon of seed, use 2 teaspoons to 1.5 teaspoons of powder. McCormick now has a ground roasted coriander that is really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

grnhs

Thanks for all the advice folks, I started a new thread for the smoking pics and questions