Ribs Ribs Ribs (great ribs but lousy pics)

Started by GusRobin, January 06, 2011, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Decided to do some ribs today. Stopped at Publix looking for a rack of baby backs and a rack beef ribs. Only saw a 3 rack cryovac pkg of BBs, and 4 rib beef pkgs. Asked the butcher lady if they had any single full racks of each. She said she could open the cryo and rewrap one rack of BBs for me. She also said that she had to cut up boneless rib-eyes  so she would go and cut me out a rack of beef ribs. Nice people at my local Publix, too bad they can't order me some pork belly for bacon. ::)

Got them home and slathered them with spicy mustard, and some of the Billy Bob rub.

BBs rubbed and ready

Beef ribs rubbed and ready

Did 3 hours of hickory; 1.5 hours foiled with some apple juice and some au jus from the last pork butt I did; and 1 hour unfoiled with sauce.

Here are the results. Didn't get a lot of pull back from the bone, but with the probe test and the bend test they appeared done to me. Sorry for the crappy picks. Wuld like to think of a good excuse but I just screwed it up.
Beef bending

Pork bending

I mainly eat the beef and the wife likes the BBs. Bought some potate salad from this local BBQ place called "Thomas' " . They make good spare ribs, mostly naked. But their potato salad is addicting.

Here is my plate with the beef and potato salad.

Had to do this cook manually as my PID is back for repair. I'm spoiled, need my PID :(

We talk about Bradley service. Sent my PID back and they got it Monday afternoon. Sent an email for status and was advised that it was repaired and shipped yesterday (Wed). It was shipped USPS priority so hopefully I'll get it back in time to use this weekend.  Supposed to get cold again over the weekend with snow anticipated. So I would like to be able not to have to go out and keep adjusting the slider. Doing a bunch of jerky but that is a post for another day.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Up In Smoke

Gus i don't see anything wrong with those pics......but i have been drinking since noon.
brought them right into focus!!!! looks great!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

OU812

Thats gotta be the bigest rack of beef ribs I've seen in a loooong time.

They all look gooood!

hal4uk

Dang, Gus....  I THINK (?) those look goooooooooooood....  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SoCalBuilder

That is a meaty looking beef rib. I haven't tried beef ribs yet and the only ones I see in the stores here look like they have had all the good meat whittled off and left you with just the bone to gnaw on ???

Keep up the good work! I have jerky to do this weekend also ;D

GusRobin

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 07, 2011, 08:44:55 AM
That is a meaty looking beef rib. I haven't tried beef ribs yet and the only ones I see in the stores here look like they have had all the good meat whittled off and left you with just the bone to gnaw on ???

Keep up the good work! I have jerky to do this weekend also ;D

that's why i usually ask if they can cut me a fresh rack. they tend not make them scrawny when they have to hand them to you. ::)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

classicrockgriller

Ribs look very nice Gus and Auber's service is right up there with Bradley.

Suyi is good people.

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 07, 2011, 09:21:28 AM
Ribs look very nice Gus and Auber's service is right up there with Bradley.

Suyi is good people.

Yup- got the PID back in todays mail and ready to do jerky this weekend

SouthernSmoked

Nice ribs!

I agree Auber's is right up there with Bradley's Customer Service.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

Going to get another drink to see if I can see the same thing UIP is looking at! But for now I'm glad to hear you got your PID back. I have a quick word of advice for you Gus before the upcoming snow event this weekend. Venture out tomorrow and stock up on adult beverages before we get stuck at home until next Wednesday. You don't want to get caught in short supply like last time!  :D

GusRobin

Quote from: TestRocket on January 07, 2011, 03:52:31 PMI have a quick word of advice for you Gus before the upcoming snow event this weekend. Venture out tomorrow and stock up on adult beverages before we get stuck at home until next Wednesday. You don't want to get caught in short supply like last time!  :D

wife is out now stocking upon beer, corn flakes, and toilet paper ;D

Smoking Rebel

Ribs look good...

I've used the Billy Bob's Rib Rub myself and really like it.

Potato salad sounds good also.