• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New here- dumb question as well

Started by Bullelk34, December 31, 2010, 05:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullelk34

We just got our first Bradley, 6 rack digital. Smoked up some jerky and it turned out great, more consistant than our old electric smoker. Just wondering if it's normal for the pucks to only burn on the outside. We got plenty of smoke flavor so i assume thats the way it's supposed to work.

Thanks

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum.

Some of the Harder woods do not burn completely up.

If you break one open and are getting a thin line of unburnt wood then you are good to go.

One thing that can make the smoke gen not burn the wood completely up is putting the

Bradley on an extention cord or using a elec plug that is shared by other appliances.

GusRobin

Welcome -  By the way, there aren't any dumb questions on this forum
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

You can also warm up the puck burner during part of your preheat time before you advance a puck into it!   ;D

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum.  The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

The pucks won't burn completely with a low cabinet temp but they work well.  A low temp actually produces more smoke and the pucks are high quality smoke.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

pensrock

Also keep the puck burner pad clean, I have a small brass brush, I clean the pad each time I am going to use it. It only takes a few seconds. If it gets real bad then you may need to scrape the gunk off. Preheat at least 20 minutes before using, I preheat mine as long as the tower is preheating, normally a good 30-60 minutes depending on what I'm doing. Keep the vent open and have fun.  :)

RAF128

Partially burned pucks is a common occurrence witht he digitals IMO.    I've got a 6 rack which I alway preheat, both the cabinet and the SG.    Mine is set up in my heated garage.   It's plugged in directly to the wall socket and that plug is the only one on that circuit.    Have yet to see a completely burned puck, except for the last one that went an extra cycle on the burner.    I also had an OBS.    I sold it last week 'cause I wasn't using it and haven't since I bought the 6 rack.    I always used it outdoors which required an extension cord.   The cord was a heavy outdoor one.    I never saw an unburned puck.    My OBS was an old one.    IMO the burner burned hotter than the current ones.  Now, having said all that I'm not concerned.    I get plenty of smoke off the pucks and the product that comes out is always good.

Bullelk34

Thanks for the replies and for reassuring what I thought. The "whole batch" consistancy is amazing with the Bradley- I can't believe it took us so long to upgrade. Now if this -25 degreee crap would leave I would love to try a chicken or turkey...

beefmann

Bull , welcome to the forum and we like  questions, and pictures...  the Bradley is one good  smoker

DTAggie

Welcome Bull and glad you are loving the Bradley.  I agree with always cleaning the burner plate and scrubbing with a wire brush.