• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Too much water added in sausage

Started by jms109, January 28, 2011, 09:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jms109

We were making snack sticks and salami, we accidentally doubled the ice cold water, will this ruin it?

classicrockgriller

I would let it sit in the fridge over nite and stuff it tomorrow.

That will help alot with the moisture.

jms109

classicrockgriller

Quote from: jms109 on January 28, 2011, 10:00:32 PM
The meat is already stuffed

Smok'em.

May want to go an extra hour on your first step (dry time) and not ramp to fast.

Something like:

130* 2 hrs no smoke
140* 3 hrs smoke
150* 2 hrs smoke optional
160* 2 hrs no smoke
170* 2 hrs
175* till IT of 152*

It may just take a little longer.

jms109

Thanks very much for the advice, I thought they might shrink more but it wouldn't change the flavor. I had the kids helping and they didn't realize we were making half batches of each.

Habanero Smoker

Hi jms109;

Welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity, how much meat/fat and how much water was added?

When water (liquid) is added to a recipe for smoked sausage it is generally added at a rate of 5% of the weight of the meat/fat, but no higher than 10%. The 5% comes to 4 ounces (1/2 cup) for 5 pounds meat/fat, up to 10% which comes to 8 ounce (1 cup) per 5 pounds meat/fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Put the stuffed sausage in the fridge un covered and not touching for an overnight.

jms109

I took all of your advice, left in the fridge uncovered, let sit at room temp, now the snack sticks are in the smoker at 110 and will ramp up slowly from there. I will let you know the results. This is a great site and I am glad I found this, you all are great! We smoke around 200 pounds of venison a year. I always mix at 80/20 and use 4 cups of water for 25 pounds

jms109

The snack sticks and salami turned out great! Thanks for helping out.

SoCalBuilder

classicrockgriller