Brisket Marinade

Started by SnellySmokesEm, January 27, 2011, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I am going to smoke a brisket for the superbowl and was thinking about marinading it before I rub it with the gunpowder seasoning.  Any suggestion?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

John Boy's and Billy's

Claude's

Woody's (Hmmmm)

and sweetwater spice co's brisket bath

carnie1

How bout this 
Found this from another site when looking for a Walter Jetton recipe
Walter Jetton's Dry Rib Rub

6 tablespoons salt
6 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons MSG
1 tablespoon dry lemon powder
1 tablespoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Sprinkle liberaly on ribs before and during the smoking process.

Walter Jetton's Beef Brisket

Walter Jetton cooked his Beef Brisket for President Johnson and whatever foreign leaders and dignitaries Lyndon brought home with him. This is his recipe. This is made out of beef brisket, which is one of the tastiest cuts but the least thought of by the average housewife, unless she sometimes buys it as corned beef. It starts out pretty tough, but if you nurse it right, it's delicious.

6 pounds beef brisket
2 quarts bone stock
3 bay leaves
salt and pepper
Put the bay leaves in about a cup of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer 10 minutes or so, then remove the leaves and add the bay tea to the bone stock, along with the salt and pepper. Put the brisket in your Dutch oven and add the stock mixture to cover it about a quarter of the way. Cover and cook over the fire, turning the brisket about every half hour until it's done. (This can be determined by forking). Mop it and lay it on the grill to finish cooking, being sure to turn it and to mop it every 20 minutes or so. To make a good natural gravy, add a little Worcestershire sauce and maybe a dash of chili powder to the liquid you cooked the brisket in. You can also serve this with barbecue sauce.

Walter Jetton's Mop for all Barbecue Meats

4 quarts bone stock (beef stock)
2 pints Worcestershire Sauce
1 pint vinegar
1 pint oil
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons MSG
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground bay leaf
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand overnight.
This recipe is exactly the way Water Jetton wrote it down. I modified the instructions a little because he calls for you to make the "bone stock" yourself and most people ask we what exactly is "bone stock". If you are a stickler for authenticity then get a couple of "good stout beef bones" and boil them until you have a good stock. On another note, this recipe makes a gallon of mop, you might want to cut it down a little.

Walter Jetton's Barbecue Sauce

This sauce is attributed to President Johnson's Pitmaster. Though I can't confirm this, it sure sounds like one of his concoctions.

3 cups ketchup
1 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons tobasco
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together. Place in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until onion and pepper are tender.

More Walter Jetton info: (guess you can tell I'm a Walter Jetton fan even though I definitely was not and LBJ fan.)

Walter Jetton was BBQ caterer to the LBJ Ranch. In 1965, he (along with Arthur Whitman) published "Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book." Since the book is long out of print here are some of his recipes, along with Jetton's comments and instructions:

These are " The Secrets of the Century".

Mop For All Barbecue Meats (about 3 quarts)
(note-these are 1/2 the quantities in original recipe.)

1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp dry mustard
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp ground bay leaf
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp Lu'siana Hot Sauce
1 Pint Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Pint vinegar
2 Quarts bone stock
1/2 Pint oil

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup - buy good stout beef bones from the butcher and boil them. Add all the other ingregients and let stand overnight before using. Use this to rub over meats or to baste them while they are cooking. Put it on with a little dish mop of the kind you see in the dime store. As you use it, the flavor will change and improve, for you are constantly transfering smoke and grease from the meat back to the mop concoction. If you have any left over, keep it in the refrigerator.

================

This is the secret of the ages I am giving you here, and I would not be surprised if wars have been fought over less. Use this as a plate or table sauce with beef, chicken, pork or almost anything else. Don't cook things in it.

Barbecue Sauce (about 2 1/2 cups)

1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp chopped onion
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp paprika
dash black pepper

Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Simmer about 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and strain.

(note - the celery pieces that you strain out
from the sauce are among the most delicious things I have ever tasted - really wonderful. In fact, I sometimes made the sauce just to have some of the yummy celery.

================

Dry Rib Seasoning (about 12 ounces)

This is for sprinkling on spareribs before you barbecue them. Use heaping measures when you are mixing it and do not skimp when you use it.

6 Tbsp salt
6 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp dry lemon powder
2 Tbsp MSG or other pep powder
2 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika

=================

Dry Poultry Seasoning (about 1 pound)

Sprinkle this on chicken and fowl before barbecuing.

6 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp black papper
2 Tbsp MSG or other pep powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp ground bay leaves
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp dry mustard

=================

Texas Beef Barbecue

This is made out of beef brisket, which is one of the tastiest cuts but the least thought of by the average housewife, unless she sometimes buys it as corned beef. It starts out pretty tough, but if you nurse it right, it's delicious.

6 pounds beef brisket
2 quarts bone stock
3 bay leaves
salt and pepper

Put the bay leaves in a about a cup of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer 10 minutes or so, then remove the leaves and add the bay tea to the bone stock, along with the salt and pepper. Put the brisket in your Dutch Oven and add the stock mixture to cover it about a quarter of the way. Cover and cook over the fire, turning the brisket about every half hour until it's nearly done. This can be determined by forking. Mop it and lay it on the grill to finish cooking, being sure to turn it and mop it every 20 minutes or so. To make a good natural gravy, add a little Worcestershire Sauce and maybe a dash of chili powder to the liquid you cooked the brisket in. You can serve this with barbecue sauce.

=================

Triple-H Spare Ribs

I am naming these for Vice-President Hubert H. Humphrey, who sure gave these ribs a fit at the Victory Barbecue at the LBJ Ranch in November 1964. He went at them like Clyde Beaty to cats and must have eaten them for an hour, putting away more of them than I have ever seen anybody do. So far as I could tell, they did him no harm.

Like most good dishes, it is easy to fix. Buy the ribs "two and under,"which your butcher will know means slabs of ribs two pounds or less in weight. Sprinkle them with Dry Rib Seasoning, taking care to get plenty of seasoning under the flap of meat on the bottom, or bone side, of each slab. Mop thoroughly and cook on the barbecue grill.

==================

Baked Beans (6 good-sized portions)

The easiest way to get yourself a good baked bean dish is to buy yourself some canned baked beans & then procede as follows.

1 large can pork and beans
2 Tbsp grated onion
1/4 pound salt pork, diced
1/4 pound breakfast bacon, fried and crumbled
2 Tbsp ketchup
3 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients in a skillet and cook on the grill about 15 minutes so the flavors can blend. Some canned tomatoes on top will pep up the color & add to the flavor.

carnie1

This is the one I was looking for

Walter Jetton Marinated Beef Brisket

Walter Jetton was president Lyndon B. Johnson's favorite bar-b-q chef.  Coming  across a mop recipe that Mr. Jetton made for use on the beef brisket he cooked.  I looked at it and decided it would also make a good marinade too!  I prefer brisket cooked this way.  It adds a subtle flavor and gives the beef an extra level of juiciness too!

Walter Jetton Mop/Marinade for Beef Brisket

1 quart beef stock
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup oil
2-1/4 teaspoons salt
2-1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
2-1/4 teaspoons MSG/Accent
2-1/4 teaspoons paprika
1-1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated
1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground bay leaf

Combine all ingredients,  bring to a boil, stirring often,   remove from heat,  let stand overnight before using.  This is enough for one brisket.

Take your brisket,  place it in a large turkey oven roasting bag,  along with all the marinade.  Squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can and close the bag with strong twist ties.  I would also recommend that you then place the bag with contents in another strong container to insure that there is no accidental spillage.

I use Food Saver vacuum bags,  the large rolls will hold up to a 12 pound brisket.  Cut it way longer then the brisket and all the marinade,   give yourself an extra 12 inches to work with!  Sealing it up is tricky!   I stand the bag up with contents in the plastic storage container, or have someone assist you.  I then place the container with bag on a chair below the sealer, adjusting height with thick books or whatever you have.  Take a folded up paper towel that fits all across the inside,  holding the paper towel below the seal level,   plus holding paper towel in place,  I vacuum seal the contents.  The paper towel stops marinade from sucking up into your sealer if done properly.

Allow the brisket to marinate for at least 48 hours,  marinate no more than 72 hours.  Carefully agitating the marinade every 12 hours to maximize flavor.  Remove brisket from bag.  At this point you are ready to cook your beef brisket!

_displayNameOrEmail_ - _time_ - Remove
_text_

SnellySmokesEm

Sounds good to me.  Thanks Carnie
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist