• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New OBS owner, Enclosure pics plus first smoke

Started by Blackhawk, January 09, 2011, 03:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawk

Hey guys,  I recently received an OBS for Christmas.  I have been smoking for about 7 years so I am still kind of a newb.  This is my third smoker, my first was a round electric brinkman followed by a gas Smokey mountain big block.  Both were hell to keep the temperature stable throughout a long smoke in cold Chicago weather.  I am hoping to have better luck with the obs since it is well insulated.

Here is the picture of the utility box from Suncast that many have used before.  I put a chimney on top as well as a dryer vent near the SG.

I decided to start with an easy Fatty after seasoning it. 

My first bacon weave, I need to find some better bacon for this.

Fillings, I used Jimmy Dean sausage filled with Wisconsin cheddar, green peppers, mushrooms, jalapeƱos, and bacon.  I may have filled it a little too much.

Wrapped and ready to go

Here we go

Three hours later I pulled at 165

The money shot!

In all it was pretty good, I used 4 pucks and it may have been a bit light on the smoke.  I'll probably add another next time.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Looks like you got a nice setup there Blackhawk and that fatty is looking delicious! You did well in going light on your first smoke and tasting the results because you can always add smoke but you can never take it away! Great PICS too! Congrats!  ;D

ADH

send a test piece to ???????? ????? ?>? ????????,?? #####

Rad Rich

Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

DTAggie

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah, looks real good!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Hiram

Here in the deep south we are a__ deep in snow and the temps have been below normal since Dec 1, I had to quit smoking sometime before Thanksgiving. But I ordered an enclosure like yours from Kmart the other day, so I'm hoping the enclosure will help me in keeping up the temp on my smoker (use it on the carport) and I can use it again. It should work as wind seems to be the biggest culprit.

Blackhawk

I did have to crank it all the way up to hit ~220 but the temp outside was probably around 15-20 degrees.  I may have to do the second element thing at some point to be efficient on the shorter cooks.  On brisket and shoulders it should matter so much.

Rad Rich

Hey that looks pretty nice.  I need to try one of those fattys.  Where is the recipe.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

kinyo

Smokeville

Blackhawk, what's the model number of that Suncast utility box? I've tried to find it on their site but no luck.

I've found a bigger model that would hold two smokers but it is somewhat expensive here in Canada ($399).

Rich

Smokeville

I found it. I was looking in the wrong section.

How did you cut the holes???? (I am tool challenged).

Rich

ksidener

Rich,

Where did you find the cabinet in Canada and how much?  I'm in BC and would like to get mine set up with something like that unit.

Please let me know when you have moment.

Thanks,

Kelly