• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going to make snack stix first time ???

Started by islandgirl, January 29, 2011, 09:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandgirl

So I am  going to try out my new stuffer. I have a pre packaged spice and cure from stuffers, and 22mm Cologen casings.
I was going to use 30% pork butt and 70% moose

Should I tie the ends closed on the casings?
Should they be left to sit overnight before smoking?
What size of grinding plate should I use? Grind once or 2x?
After I get an internal temp of 156, should they be just left to cool at room temp, and for how long should they stay at room temp?

thanking in advance for the help!

Tenpoint5

I leave mine to cool to room temp for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. break apart or cut to length and place in a zip bag but not completely closed and put in the fridge for an overnight. This will soften the casings up some and they wont seem as brittle. I would only take then to 150 then pull them they will rise to 152 before cooling. Or just go to 152 its your choice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

islandgirl

What size of grinding plate should I use? Grind once or 2x

Tenpoint5

I would grind twice with the moose. First grind through the large plate 1/4 inch and the second grind after applying seasonings through the small plate 1/8th inch then stuff
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Tie the ends. If you are going to rack them (keep your racks rotated

about every hour or so.

Stuff them and smoke'em.

If you do fridge them over nite don't bag them. Put them on a wire

rack not touching so they can breathe.

LoftyNotions

If I'm doing snack stix on a rack I don't bother tying them up.  (I'm lazy) :) I pinch them at lengths that will fit in the racks and cut them with kitchen shears. If I'm hanging them they get tied.

The tied ones look more impressive though.  ;D

islandgirl

Ground, mixed and ready to stuff. I have never used collagen casings..How full should I stuff them..till they seem about to split or not quite?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: islandgirl on February 03, 2011, 10:44:02 AM
Ground, mixed and ready to stuff. I have never used collagen casings..How full should I stuff them..till they seem about to split or not quite?

Just kinda squishy tight

love the smoke

Juuuuust before they split    ;D

As soon as you split a few you will get the hang of it

If you do split it just pull some meat out of the split retie or pinch shut and continue on

LTS
LTS

OU812

Go ahead and get one started, about an inch, then stuff tighter for another inch and tighter another inch and tighter till it bursts.

Then YOU know how much the casing will take.

Good luck.