Over brine

Started by HCT, August 22, 2005, 10:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

I started brining some bacon on wedneday,hoping to smoke it on sunday. Make a long story short, daughter had a baby and now the bacon has been in the brine 5, prolly 6 days. Should I toss it?

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

3rensho

Mickey, first congrats on the new addition.  You didn't mention what kind of meat you're making bacon from or what the brine is.  I make bacon from pork belly using a dry rub/brine (containing NaNO2) and let it sit in the refer for 7-8 days before smoking.  When  I do a corned beef (from brisket) I use a liquid brine (again with NaNO2) and let it soak 10 days after pumping it.  I've never had it come out anything but good.

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

HCT

Thanks Tom

It was from that recipe from Alton Brown. Using water, apple cider, molasses,sugar,salt & pepper. I believe it was called the The scrap iron chef cure.

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

3rensho

I looked up that recipe.  It looks like it would be a very hypertonic environment for bacteria and therefore rather hostile.  Having said that I'd wait for one of the food safety guru's to add their $.02 worth as I have no experience curing sans nitrite.

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

CLAREGO

i tried the scrap iron chief bacon didnt turn out good...maybe if it cured longer but i think it said a couple of days there aint much to it. i have some curing with hmountain bbb using a belly tell yah how it turns out
clarence