• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Drying landjaeger question

Started by Cope30tyee, February 10, 2011, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cope30tyee

Hey guys,

I'm gonna make some landjager.  The sausage maker recipe calls for it being smoked like normal sausage then dried in a humidifier.  I don't have a humidifier.  What are my alternatives to using a humidifier?

Cope30tyee

Come on guys!!  Someone has to know how I can accomplish these feat without a humidifier.  Nepa, can you help me?

Thanks for any help!!
Cope

Habanero Smoker

I believe someone recently posted a thread on landjaeger sausage, you may want to refer to that.

I find it difficult to dry cure sausage or meat without a dry curing cabinet. Where I live I cannot maintain the humidity and temperature levels required without it. These cabinets are generally made by converting a refrigerator or freezer. There are a couple of threads on this board that describes how to make one. Some are fortunate and do not need these cabinets. They can use their basement or even kitchen. If you only plan to only make dry cured sausage occasionally, just a refrigerator with a pan of salt water at the bottom should provide you with enough humidity without a humidifier.

The following is a link does a pretty good job explaining each step of the dry curing process. Though it is about making salami the process is pretty much the same without the mold.
Making Salami

Another though; you may want to look for a semi-dry landjaeger recipe, which is fully cooked, then further air dried.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lumpy

When I make landjaeger this time of year I hang it in the garage for up to one week.
Drys it out nicely.

NePaSmoKer

Cope

All good suggestions here.

You can do Landjaeger in many ways. Cure #1 or #2.

If you use cure #1 after smoking you can let the LJ hang for a few hours to dry, Sorta like a semi dry sausage.

Cure #2 you can low smoke, hang with anywhere from 50-70% R/H to remove any excess moisture. Some use a dry cure cabinet with setups for heat and humidity control. Some have the right amounts of the above to just hang with out all the fancy equipment. This will depend on where you live to do with out the equip.

Cope30tyee

Thanks guys! I'm planning on following the instructions which say to smoke until internal temp reaches 152 then drying in humid environment.