First Bacon

Started by OTB, May 11, 2012, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OTB on May 13, 2012, 04:30:40 PM
Typical unpredictable pork.  I had the PID Probe in the thickest piece of the four, and it hit 150 so I pulled it out.  I then placed that probe in the thinest of the pieces and it reads 127.  The other two are now hovering at 134 (temp dropped after I opened door to pull first one).

I find that same problem. When I smoke/cook multiple pieces (especially chicken parts), I use an instant read thermometer and check various pieces on the rack. They never cook as the same rate, and sometimes I have to remove some pieces earlier to avoid over cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OTB

Same thing with pork butts...it seems that the largest one is typically the first to finish.

The second piece of bacon came out at about 5:40, and the two thinnest pieces took until about 7pm to get to temp.  Took each one out when it hit proper IT.  Let them cool at room temp, then into a ziplock and into fridge overnight.  I am hoping to get a chance to slice them today.  Pics to come at some point.  They sure smelled good.

Smoker John

So far so good, looking forward to the pix
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

OTB

Here is the Bacon all smoked up and ready to be sliced:

And here is the sliced product and wrapped in saran wrap:

You will notice that there is a bit of scrap and end pieces in a ziplock bag at the back.

OTB

Lessons learned.  I REALLY WISH there was an extension tray for the Chef's Choice 610 slicer.  The bacon is too long for the tray and pusher so the first part of the meat just hangs off the edge and cuts at weird angles.  I also had to push the meat to the blade which I am sure is not safe.

All in all the bacon was fantastic!!!  Will never go back to store bacon again.  Please note that making bacon this way is not cheaper than store bought bacon...just tastes better.

devo

Yup thats why i picked this puppy up at a yard sale. 1/3 the price of a new one and will out last me.