Stopped by a buddies this afternoon

Started by devo, March 05, 2011, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

He was in the process of makeing a few rings of sausage. Venison & pork in a home-made smoke house.

jiggerjams

Looks great. Did you make out of there with a ring or two?

Keymaster

Those look awesome, my wife would be pissed if I used all the Dental floss to hang my snausages ;D ;D

Tenpoint5

Looks like about 75 pounds worth thats a dys worth of work there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

devo

He owns a game farm so there is no shortage of deer meat thats for sure. He has deer and elk. Heres some pics I took a couple of years ago.

pikeman_95

Don't ever do anything to pi** him off. Now I see why you wanted the big stuffer. That is a good looking batch of sausage. What kind did he make?

devo

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 05, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
Don't ever do anything to pi** him off. Now I see why you wanted the big stuffer. That is a good looking batch of sausage. What kind did he make?

Actually, this is a small batch of sausage this year at 62 rings- last year he made 185 rings. Every year he freeze's any deer "trimmings" he then buy's "Boston-Butts" pork & makes a 60% venison to 40% pork mix. He intends to dry (Jerky) all these rings this year. It took him & his brother about 4 hours to spice, mix, grind & stuff the 60+ rings. Depending on the humidity, the sausage drips for 1 day then will be smoked for 3 days, then be dried for 2 to 3 weeks. He only smokes with hard, center cut oak pieces. He use's an old Alsacian spice recipe, modified slightly over the years to fit his tastes. Here it is:
For 100 lbs of meat
22 oz Canning Salt
4 oz curing salt
6 oz black pepper
2.5 oz garlic powder
8 oz coriander
Red pepper flakes (like for Pizza) to taste