storing snack sticks

Started by kmarr, March 05, 2011, 06:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmarr

How long can you leave snack sticks and polish sausage in the fridge vac. sealed before going bad or would you freeze them?
Thanks Kelly

Keymaster

I usually package my sticks next day in foodsaver bags and let them rest for three days before freezing. I  leave a couple packages in the fridge for friends and myself. Temperatures will dictate on how long you can leave sticks out before they go bad :)

LoftyNotions

I'm assuming you used cure #1 or #2 in both products. I do pretty much the same as Keymaster with Snack Sticks. I put the whole bunch in one big bag so they can equalize overnight. Then I vacuum seal them the next day and leave them in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days before freezing most of them. I leave a package or two in the frig for snacking. With fully cooked Polish Sausage, I use a cold water bath or spray to rapidly reduce their temperature and then leave them out for a couple hours to bloom and then vacuum seal them. I leave them in the frig for 3 or 4 days also and freeze anything I won't use in a week or so. They're probably OK for longer than that but I don't take too many chances.

I'll leave the snack sticks in the frig longer because they're a dryer product.

Larry

Keymaster

Quote from: LoftyNotions on March 05, 2011, 08:38:22 PM
I'm assuming you used cure #1 or #2 in both products. I do pretty much the same as Keymaster with Snack Sticks. I put the whole bunch in one big bag so they can equalize overnight. Then I vacuum seal them the next day and leave them in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days before freezing most of them. I leave a package or two in the frig for snacking. With fully cooked Polish Sausage, I use a cold water bath or spray to rapidly reduce their temperature and then leave them out for a couple hours to bloom and then vacuum seal them. I leave them in the frig for 3 or 4 days also and freeze anything I won't use in a week or so. They're probably OK for longer than that but I don't take too many chances.

I'll leave the snack sticks in the frig longer because they're a dryer product.

Larry
Yep, I always use cure :D

Tenpoint5

I am guessing a week in the fridge is about tops on the snack sticks. After that I wouldn't know I haven't had a 5lb batch last any longer than that around here.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!