Smoke coming out of junction between generator and box - vent open

Started by gbritten_nh, March 23, 2011, 08:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbritten_nh

The titel kinda describes the issue, I see her eon the forum that smoke coming out of the generator is an indication the vent needs to be opened more, but what if it is already wide open?

Granted, it is not a huge amout of smoke, but just wondering......

Gizmo

A small amount coming out is no big deal.  If there is a significant amount, do you have the box overloaded as in one or more of the trays are completely covered and smoke is not allowed to rise?

The smoke generator has air intake vents and if you have a small amount of air going into those vents, it should go through the generator and help push the smoke up and out.  A low CFM fan or low speed fan placed a distance from the smoke gen should help if the trays are not blocking the air flow.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

agrees with giz, sounds like you might  have some type of air flow blockage, or the smoke generator not being mounted correctly, check both

Jim O

I'm a-smokin' rite now and experiencing the same thing. I put it down to the way I have my smoker vented to the outside ie: part of the vent pipe slants down,along with a strong wind blowing across the end of the vent pipe. I have no flap on the end,as I remove the vent pipe between smokes.

I don`t feel that the little bit of smoke that escapes back into the garage is too big a deal. All it does is give the cars,boat and motorcycles a``smokey`` scent !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Quarlow

I always like a nice smoked porsche with my dinner. :D :D :D The wind will cause the smoke to back up for sure.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

gbritten_nh

I am running outside in moderate gusty breeze, with an adhoc windblock 2" high around vent, not seeing any significant smoke from around generator, maybe I messed up mounting it.  Vent is 100%.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

Smoke backing up into your smoke generator can and will destroy it over time.  If you think it is a wind issue you need to figure out some way to block the wind.

gbritten_nh

I did put a temporary collar around the vent last night when I was smoking a butt, it was an air filter from a tractor, 2" high and about 6" in diameter, and it seemed to work pretty good.  Will probably try something a little taller, but it was what I had handy.  It won't now get used an an air filter, so no worries there!

Quarlow

Quote from: gbritten_nh on March 27, 2011, 09:59:42 AM
  It won't now get used an an air filter, so no worries there!
Yeah I wouldn't use it or you will be craving smoked food all day. :D :D :D

OBS
BBQ