• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack Sticks - to hang or not to hang

Started by Indy Smoker, March 29, 2011, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy Smoker

I am getting ready to make some snack sticks.  I could use some advice.

The last time I made some I loaded with a jerky cannon as that was the best I could do at the time - a friend borrowed the grinder I usually stuff with.  I hung them in the smoker and had issues with the casing breaking - this was explained I had them stuffed too full.  I also had the issue that the ends hanging near the heating element were overcooked as they reached the IT earlier than the rest that was near the top of the 4 rack DBS.

I have since invested in a Weston stuffer I am dying to try out. With this batch should I continue to hang in the smoker, or is it better to coil them on the racks and cook that method and rotate the racks??
Opinions are appreciated

pensrock

I've done them both ways. The reason I prefer to lay them on a rack is so I can rotate them during the process. Hanging them The bottoms seem to get done before the tops. But others prefer to hang them so they must have found a way to even things out better than mine.

Sailor

Laying on racks works just as good as hanging however you must rotate top to bottom and front to back.  I have done it both ways.  I prefer to hang as I don't have to open the door and rotate.  When I stuff I use a tape measure and when I get a length 37 inches I cut it and put the link in my tub and continue to stuff and cut.  I only tie the first link to get it started.  I put some blocks of 1 X on the top rack holder to extend my hanger bar.  I move the bar to the front of the Bradley and then hang my links.  The rear of the links are about in the middle of the v-tray and the front of the link is about 1/2 way to the front of the V-tray.  I find that moving the bar to the front cuts down on the heat and cooks pretty even. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Its all just personal preference. Some find racking is the way some find hanging is their way.

Main thing is have fun and SMOKE ON

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 30, 2011, 07:00:21 AM
Its all just personal preference. Some find racking is the way some find hanging is their way.

Main thing is have fun and SMOKE ON

I do snack sticks both ways just depends on my mood at the moment. When hanging I do like Sailor does I try to hang the sticks as close to the door as I can so the heat is more even. I do rotate them though once or twice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

devo

I was going to hang my first batch but decided to go with the racks. What I did was take the long sticks and coil them starting in the middle and working my way to the outside making sure they didn't touch. It just seemed easier that way to me but like Nepa said its up to you.

NePaSmoKer

Chris

The SS sticks got delivered to the wrong street and house but UPS cant find where? LOL figures. BP is going to work with me on them.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 30, 2011, 07:15:36 AM
Chris

The SS sticks got delivered to the wrong street and house but UPS cant find where? LOL figures. BP is going to work with me on them.

Ask them why there little GPS in the tablet wasn't going crazy telling the idiot driver he was at the wrong house?? It should also tell them where he delivered it too. It should also help THEM purchase the new ones that they will deliver free of charge. The Boneheads!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

When doing sticks I shoot out in one loooooong casing

then cut to length and rack em

and arrange them like so on the racks in the smoker

Yes you do have to rotate top to bottom and front to back but they all cook evenly this way.

How ever you decide to smoke/cook them I'm sure they will be gooood.  ;D

RAF128

I like to hang mine.    I've got a 6 rack so have a little more room.    I've noticed if I make them too long then, yes, the ends get done first.    What I've done, and it seems to work, is put tin foil over the back half of the V tray.   That way the heat from the element doesn't come straight up, but goes towards the door.    Those hanging closer to the back don't get over done. 

dbondy

IMHO I would hang them if I had a six rack, but in the obs I like to rack them because I can fit 10lbs in. ITs a bit of work rotating the racks but if you use a good recipe like pens has it makes it worth while. :D