• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can't get the smoker hot enough

Started by catrk, April 02, 2011, 09:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catrk

Just purchased the smoker this week. Used it to smoke some Italian sausage which took about an hour and a half. They came out fantastic. I then loaded it up with pork chops ribs and chicken. The racks were spaced nicely. The temperature never got over 165. I left them on for 5+ hours. Today I tried again this time with just a few pieces of chicken. I pre heated to 215 with no problem as soon as i put the food in the temp went way down and after an hour the temp is still only 167. I did leave the vent fully open. I initially had a 100 foot extension cord but shortened that to 25 feet.  I'm not relying on the thermometer on the unit I bought  a maverick et 732. The outside temperature is in the 40's with little wind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

muebe

Are you measuring the temperature above or below the meat? The temperature above the meat will be much lower due to the meat absorbing the heat...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

catrk

I was keeping the thermometer above the meat. I'll try moving it below. Thanks.

mow_delon

Keep out of wind!!!  as the air blows over the vent it just sucks the heat out.

beefmann

may want to consider an enclosure similar to:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.0

helps to keep the box warmer and out of the wind with an escape for the smoke.

catrk

The wind wasn't an issue it seems as the meat heated up so did the smoker and it always stayed about 50 degrees higher than the meat. Todays batch of chicken turned out great. I just wasn't prepared for how long it would take to cook through.

Gizmo

Is it a digital or an original?
If digital, what temperature did you set the oven for?  Try preheating with the max setting of 320 deg and leave it there after loading the box up until the unit recovers then start to reduce the temp a little at a time to keep the box temp where you want it.
If the original, set the slider switch to the max and back it off as above.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/