• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Pork Jerky - The Jury is Still Out

Started by SoCalBuilder, April 02, 2011, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I've been intrigued by recent postings about pork jerky and happened to have a couple pound piece of loin in the freezer. Cut it into 1/4" slices and hit it with some HiMountain I've used on beef.

Pre-heated the OBS and set for 180*. After an hour of Alder and a couple roations, I noticed the temp. start to drop. Did all the mandaory pushing and pulling on cords, etc... I think it finished on the SG heat. Thankfully the pork seemed to dry much faster than beef and I pulled it after about 8 hours.

It looks purty, but I think it needs a much more aggressive seasoning than beef. Texture is good, but another attempt is in the offing. I'm sure this won't last long regardless ;D

steve-o

bears fan

It certainly looks great.  An interesting idea.  I can't believe it has not been tried before now.

Gizmo

Hmmm,  I just might have to come down and take a look at that smoker for you.  Will you still have that jerky around?   :D  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CoreyMac

It may have been the seasoning because when I did the pork loin a while back it worked perfect with the same amount as I used for beef. Almost a little stronger. I agree with the fact that pork needs a little less time to finish over beef, I got the same result.

Looks great though.

Corey

OU812

That there is some purty pork jerky.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: bears fan on April 02, 2011, 06:45:10 PM
It certainly looks great.  An interesting idea.  I can't believe it has not been tried before now.

Its been done before.....

Looks great SOCAL