• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pepperoni

Started by OU812, April 05, 2011, 08:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

Boy oh boy. it all looks good. Are those dogs in casings? The ends look perfect. 8)

OU812

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on April 14, 2011, 03:25:38 PM
Boy oh boy. it all looks good. Are those dogs in casings? The ends look perfect. 8)

They were, I removed the casing after poaching, slip right off like a..... you know.  ::)

mow_delon

Wondering what peperoni recipe you used.  I have tried two different ones, one from here and one from another web site and have not been impressed with the results.  One ended up tasting like black licorice and the other had almost no flavor at all.  I hope your mommy taught you to share:)

OU812

One key to making good sausage is the spices, they gotta be good not the no name crap.  ;D

All the spices I use are from "Penzeys Spices" and if you have a recipe that has turned out like the way you want using cheeper spices you WILL have to cut back on the Penzeys couse of the more intence flavor of the Penzeys.

The recipe;

Smoked Venison Pepperoni

4 lbs very well trimmed venison
1 lb pork fat or fatty pork trimmings
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed anise seed
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon cure #1
1/4 cup ice water
Cut the venison and pork into cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your sausage grinder.
Make a paste of the milk powder and ice water and mix it with the cure and all the spices in a small container.
Add the cure/dried milk/spice combination to the ground meat and mix it thoroughly, kneading it by hand until it is very well distributed.
Stuff the sausage immediately into casings (either collagen or natural sheep or pork), and refrigerate the links for 12-24 hours to let the flavors combine well.
After the aging, prepare your deer sausage pepperoni for the smoker, and smoke it until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F.

Good luck.

mow_delon

Thanks for sharing, OU. I will give it a trya and see what happens (if I can find time before next winter).

ghost9mm

Curt thanks for posting the recipe, I have a bunch of venison in the freezer that I can use on this recipe..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

Yall better post some pictures when you make some.  ;D

Keymaster

Thanks for posting the recipe curt, I copied and pasted this ome into my Recipe file too :D

pikeman_95

Curt

Thanks for posting the recipe, I also copied and pasted this one into my Recipe file. Have you tried this recipe with pork fat or possibly with pork butt? I sure like the look of the pepperoni.

Thanks again.