Wisconsin Cheeseheads smoked out of Central Illinois

Started by squirtthecat, March 06, 2011, 04:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

No, not the bunch on the news every day..

Cheese curds - Mixed cheddar and Garlic & Chive.

Mammoth cheddar, Marble Pepperoni and a log of Summer Sausage.

(all but the Marble Pepperoni were from the Shullsburg folk)

Something to keep the cabinet temps down.   A corned beef brisket flat, rinsed and dusted with a Cajun blend.

In we go.

1 hour of Apple smoke on the curds, 1:20 on the hard cheeses, 2 hours on the corned beef.

And done.

They'll go in the vacuum sealer shortly.   Not sure what to do with the curds..   They might be smashed to oblivion by the pressure.

The corned beef is for another project.  ;)

muebe

Nice selection of cheese STC ;D Does your vacuum sealer have a gentle cycle for crushable foods? You might be able to seal the curds without crushing them with that cycle...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Quote from: muebe on March 06, 2011, 04:45:47 PM
Nice selection of cheese STC ;D Does your vacuum sealer have a gentle cycle for crushable foods? You might be able to seal the curds without crushing them with that cycle...

No, but it has a kill switch where I can stop it at a certain point.

I have some of the FoodSaver containers.  I wonder if I could dump them all in a small one and suck the air out?
They are in 2 small ziplock container for now.   But I can smell the smoke leaching out of them..  (they've been banished to my beer fridge for the time being)

muebe

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 06, 2011, 05:05:34 PM
Quote from: muebe on March 06, 2011, 04:45:47 PM

No, but it has a kill switch where I can stop it at a certain point.

I have some of the FoodSaver containers.  I wonder if I could dump them all in a small one and suck the air out?
They are in 2 small ziplock container for now.   But I can smell the smoke leaching out of them..  (they've been banished to my beer fridge for the time being)

The foodsaver I have is the newer one with the gentle cycle. I guess it would be handy for your situation. I think using a small foodsaver container would work...
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

They wont crush on you Squirt they sell them around here all the time in vac sealed pacs
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Chili Head

Squirt you need to bread some of those curds and deep fry em! If you don't eat fried foods then bake them babies!

hal4uk

You're killin me here...
I gotta find something that looks like FOOD...
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhggg!!!
Awrighten...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

Quote from: hal4uk on April 09, 2011, 10:09:31 PM
You're killin me here...
I gotta find something that looks like FOOD...
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhggg!!!
Awrighten...

Hal just mozy on into your kitchen and grab something to....ugh nevermind ::)

La Quinta

Poor Hal...no kitchen...I'd lose my grip on reality... ???

pikeman_95

STC

Have you seen the wide mouth jar vacuum adaptors. I use them to vacuum seal wide mouth canning jars. I think they also make one for the small mouth jars. Then you have a glass container and can reuse the lid.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wide+mouth+jar+sealer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3336126745&ref=pd_sl_7oqjw82jel_b

kirby

squirtthecat

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 10, 2011, 05:31:43 AM
STC

Have you seen the wide mouth jar vacuum adaptors. I use them to vacuum seal wide mouth canning jars. I think they also make one for the small mouth jars. Then you have a glass container and can reuse the lid.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wide+mouth+jar+sealer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3336126745&ref=pd_sl_7oqjw82jel_b

kirby

Yeah, I've seen them at the Farm Store I frequent.  I should grab one next time I'm in there.

Scrolling down a bit..   You could marinate some serious jerky in this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-85679-2-Gallon-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B000M9NMJA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1302439423&sr=8-9

pensrock

Squirt, You do not have to vac pack the cheese. I rarely vac it up and have some wrapped in plastic then put into a zip bag in my fridge now over a year old and its just fine.  :)

pikeman_95

Quote from: squirtthecat on April 10, 2011, 05:46:29 AM
Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 10, 2011, 05:31:43 AM
STC

kirby

Yeah, I've seen them at the Farm Store I frequent.  I should grab one next time I'm in there.

Scrolling down a bit..   You could marinate some serious jerky in this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-85679-2-Gallon-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B000M9NMJA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1302439423&sr=8-9

thanks for the info. I will save this in my favorites as gallon glass jars are hard to come by.