Did I mention.....

Started by SiFumar, April 16, 2011, 04:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

I like chicken!  So found some legs and thighs for 80cents a pound.  Also had some breasts in freezer to throw on also.  Brined overnight in Jans rub, honey powder and water.  Rinsed and dried.  Decided not to use any more rub....wanted to see how the rub infused brine worked.

2hr 20min special blend, vents wide open

5 1/2hrs later they were done.  The Jans Rub made a great brine!  Love that stuff!  Chicken is moist and flavorful.

smoker pete

Interesting combination there SiFumar :o  Using Jan's Dry Rub (JDR) in a brine.  I agree that JDR is hard to beat on poultry but never thought about it in a brine.  Gonna have to give that a try soonest!

Nice looking yardbird parts ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

squirtthecat

Great idea!   What was the ratio of the brine?

muebe

Man that is one large load of chicken in the Bradley :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Man O man them there chicken parts look gooood.

I'm a big time chicken eater too.

Howd the skin turn out for ya?

Ifin you finish on the grill or The Big Easy you will have the best of both worlds,
smoked chicken with crispy skin.

Heck I've even finished in the deep fat fryer when doin a small load.

ghost9mm

Now that is a bunch of chicken, really be good with a touch of hot sauce and a couple of Coors.. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Quote from: squirtthecat on April 16, 2011, 06:35:45 PM

Great idea!   What was the ratio of the brine?

I used 1 cup "Jans Rub" to 1 gal water.  Heated about 4 cups water and put rub in to disolve, and bloom flavors.  Added to remaining water and chilled before adding chicken.

Quote from: OU812 on April 17, 2011, 04:37:54 PM

Howd the skin turn out for ya?

Ifin you finish on the grill or The Big Easy you will have the best of both worlds,
smoked chicken with crispy skin.

The skin was rubbery as usual after smoking.....but I do finish on the grill to crisp up.  This batch actually got put in freezer for a family Easter picnic/bbq this coming weekend.(except for the few pieces held out for dinner ;D)

OU812

Oh crap, Easter IS this weekend aint it?

I need to pull a brisket outta the freezer, gonna do that NOW.

Thanks for the reminder SiF.

My daughter is coming back from collage this weekend and would pissed if I didnt have here brisket ready for her, thats her favorite, next to ribs, next to chicken, next to OK ill quit now.  ;D

Oh Ya, I do the same thing with chicken, smoke/cook a full load, finish what I'm gonna eat in TBE and freeze the rest.

Makes a great quick smoked meal.  ;)

SiFumar

Don't forget to ask her to bring ice chests back! ;D

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on April 20, 2011, 01:48:09 PM
Don't forget to ask her to bring ice chests back! ;D

:D  :D  :D

That I did and will do again Fri.  ;D