• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Low heat

Started by trev2000, April 30, 2011, 07:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev2000

Good day all,
I have a OBS and I am having some issues getting it up to temp.
I have had it for 3 or 4 years now
I did some searching on this site and it seems like the heating element will work or not work.
I dont think its that
It is only getting up to 160 or so
The outside temp is about 15c.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

TedEbear

A couple of things to check:  

1. If you are using an extension cord remove it and plug the smoker directly into the outlet.  

2. If the circuit is shared with another appliance with a heavy load find an outlet on a different circuit.

3. Unplug and reseat all the connections and make sure they are plugged in real tight.

trev2000

thanks for the reply
No extension cord
its on its own circuit
all the cords are good to go
it used to get up higher
now it wont get over 170

Keymaster

If the element is heating it will eventually glow red. Can you see if it is red? The Smoke generator could heat the Smoker to 160° F without the element being on, do you have the smoke generator on? If this doesn't help then you will need a Electrical meter and start some troubleshooting ;)

trev2000

ya it does glow red
and the LED on the outside bottom seems to be working as well
weird
and thanks for the reply

Keymaster

Try a secondary thermometer if you have one. I have a digital so I don't know if the thermometer on the front door is able to be calibrated with ice water (32° F) or boiling water around 212° F.

trev2000

i did try another thermo just hanging inside the top vent with the vent almost closed
still 170
I think i will cleat it all up and check everything out and go from there
thanks for the reply

cheers

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link to some trouble shooting ideas. From reading your post, part of the problem may be your vent setting and the placement of the probe you are using to monitor the heat. Place the probe underneath the lowest rack. Make sure that your temperature slider is all the way to the right.

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

trev2000

I have probed it in a few places
Na my slider is all the way to the right
I will have a look at the link thanks