• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Faceplate Replacement

Started by Meat tooth, May 14, 2011, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat tooth

I recently installed a new faceplate on my OBS. I notice a few things about the fit, (or lack of). It appears that the bottom corners are too tight in the plastic to fit over the bottom of the metal cabinet. This creates a lot of stress on the faceplate and I believe that is why it failed. To remedy the stiuation, I got my Dremel tool out and relieved the stress by sanding down the inside thickness of the plastic, so it will fit over the metal corners without interference. Also I opened up the screw holes by the next size up drill bit. This allowed for any misalignment of the holes. While I was at it, I cleaned up the slot for the slider, because it was sticky in operation due to flashing in the hole. Now everything is back together and looking great, and the control is nice and smooth. Stay tuned, will post pics as soon as the camera charges!
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

Meat tooth

The two following pics are before sanding:

And after sanding:

Meat tooth

So now the faceplate is resolved, I did a 12 hour cook involving a 8.5 pound beef roast, which turned out great! I was cleaning up the OBS the next day, and noticed that the bottom door plastic is cracked! No explanation on that one. I wonder if it has to do with the expansion/ contraction properties of the different materials? Called Bradley they seem baffled as well, but they are sending out another part under warranty...   :)

ghost9mm

While it's really nice that Bradley is standing behind this, is there any chance that you could get a picture of the crack in the face plate...I am sure that Bradley will get you straighten out... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

jimmyb

I experienced the same issue with my replacement faceplate. The fit is not quite right. TO be honest, you really have to work at it to get it to fit. Needless to say, the new one is also cracked now after a short time. Although I agree that Bradley is a great product and they certainly stand behind it with excellent customer support, all of these mods to make it right just don't seem right. Adding another heat element (I agree this is our own wants), filing the button in the SG so it doesn't stick, filing parts of the faceplate, changing around the feet so the faceplate doesn't crack. I'm not complaining but I hope Bradley is taking notes of all of the wonderful mods done and mentioned in this forum for product enhancements.