• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My new hobby: Smoking

Started by richardvoyageur, June 08, 2011, 11:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardvoyageur

Hello gentlemen (and ladies?), I recently received a beautiful gift of an OBS for my birthday and have cooked back ribs in it so far.

I now find myself hooked and have subsequently purchased a Maverick 732, 3 of the aluminum puck pushers and a hundred bucks of bisquettes.  I now have my eye on the dual PID as well.  I'm already over the price of my Weber BBQ  :o

We're having another "smoke party" this weekend and there will be pics this time, I won't forget like with the ribs.  A rookie mistake, but man, I couldn't resist diggin' in!
Sell the sizzle and the steak

Tenpoint5

Have you thought about making sausage yet?? That's when it gets really fun!!! Generally tends to upset the significant other as well until they taste the fruits of your labor. ;D ;D Dang CRG was right I might just be the Sausage Pusher man!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

richardvoyageur

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 08, 2011, 12:05:04 PM
Have you thought about making sausage yet?? That's when it gets really fun!!! Generally tends to upset the significant other as well until they taste the fruits of your labor. ;D ;D Dang CRG was right I might just be the Sausage Pusher man!!

So from what I've read you should have a PID for sausage-making, why is the temperature so crucial to this one discipline?

Also, I'm not sure I've ever had a proper smoked sausage, are the typical Costco mild italian ones ok to use?
Sell the sizzle and the steak

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. Yes ten.5 you are a real pusher aren't you.  The reason you need tight control of the temps when doing sausage is so you don't over heat them and get what is called fat out. This is when you heat them to much and cook the fat out of them and end up with dry sausages. Not pretty. And the PID is a very cool toyool (read toy/tool). As for price you forget a little bit more every time you produce some awesome food out of that baby.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Meat tooth

Yes, welcome to the forum. The smoking is very addictive. I fully condone it. Haven't bee the same since I got my OBS. (Actually I used to have to pop TUMS every night because of bad heartburn, now I don't have to take them nearly as much). The quality of the food seems much better, less grease; my tummy's happier  :)
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.