• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Proud pappa of new BDS 4 rack - temperature question.

Started by WideGlideMike00, June 09, 2011, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WideGlideMike00

Long time listener, first time caller  8)

I've already seasoned it, -and- have run my first batch of St. Louis style ribs (4 slabs) through it. Shooting from the hip and using many suggestions from this forum, the ribs came out more than acceptable. Well, ok absolutely awesome!! The family was ecstatic. Teenage son had ribs the next day for breakfast. lol. The neighbors were peeking over the fence during the smoke. And I know, it never happened. (sorry, no pictures)  :-\

Now have a butt in and smoking along nicely.

To the point of my post - a question: I see a lot of reference to setting oven temp to 225 deg. F. and that seemingly being a magic temp. number in several meat smoking forums (not just Bradley)
But, is it me not seeing something but I can only set the temp. at even 10's. i.e. 210, 220, 230 etc. IS there a way to increment to 5's?  Say, 225?

BTW, I got the Jim Beam model, not sure what the difference is, if any, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse from Overstock.com (Happy Birthday to me)   ;D

1 hour into the butt smoke. (I had to peek to shoot the pic)

Keymaster

Welcome, 230° is fine, or you could get an Auber pid controller which will allow you to put your set point temp at 225° and maintain that temp plus or minus 1°. Google Auber controls and look for the Bradley plug and play model. Have good times smokin!!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: Keymaster on June 09, 2011, 02:30:42 PM
Welcome, 230° is fine, or you could get an Auber pid controller which will allow you to put your set point temp at 225° and maintain that temp plus or minus 1°. Google Auber controls and look for the Bradley plug and play model. Have good times smokin!!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah! The Auber PID is next on the list!  (I just now ordered the Maverick ET-732.)

As for the Auber PID... can you override the BDS 8 or 9 hour limitation?  (and set a longer cook time?)

Smokin Soon

QuoteAs for the Auber PID... can you override the BDS 8 or 9 hour limitation?
Yes!

Keymaster

You can program the Auber to cook by time or until the Internal temp of the meat reaches its set point, so if you want a pork shoulder roast (porkis ohbuttus) to stop cooking at 200° F the Auber will keep powering up the Heating element until the IT reaches 200° F then either shut off or if you programmed it to, it will drop down to 150° F to keep it warm while your finishing that last 3 cans of beer in the fridge ;D
Don't get no smoke on Yah ;)

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: Keymaster on June 09, 2011, 04:25:15 PM
You can program the Auber to cook by time or until the Internal temp of the meat reaches its set point, so if you want a pork shoulder roast (porkis ohbuttus) to stop cooking at 200° F the Auber will keep powering up the Heating element until the IT reaches 200° F then either shut off or if you programmed it to, it will drop down to 150° F to keep it warm while your finishing that last 3 cans of beer in the fridge ;D
Don't get no smoke on Yah ;)

S-w-e-e-t. I may be ordering one sooner than I anticipated. Like....now.  :P

WideGlideMike00

I guess I should post a follow up post to this. I did post in another area of this forum about my heating element going out, so moderator feel free to delete this post if needed.

Anyways, Bradley has taken care of the failed element and one is in transit to me now. But I did want to show the end result of my first butt:

[...]

Alrighty then - salvaged! Thanks to the encouragement and sage advise of the forum members, here is the outcome. Albeit a hybrid butt, but salvage was the goal and I think I surpassed that. I put the 165* butt on the Bradley rack, over a foil pan (with some "extra" beer) and set the home oven to 225* until the IT read 200. Removed and then covered with foil while a few margaritas were consumed and voila! (probably not the "official" FTC way but hey, when you are buzzed and hungry... well...)

So I can say this is my first official butt, and was absolutely delicious even though it was not done the way I had planned.

If this butt turned out THIS good doing it this way, I can hardly wait for my new heating element and git-r-done the Bradley way!
Note: No BBQ sauce was added to the pulled pork or to the sammies, none needed IMO. (My son called them sliders.) Although I did plop some cole slaw on mine.

Edit: I wanted to add, the rub I used was  Weber "Kansas City Style BBQ Rub" that I found at Sam's Club the other day. No complaints.
Further comparison testing will be required though.  ;D

(please excuse the paper plates)  8)

Tenpoint5

Nothing wrong with paper plates we aint eating them!! That PP Sammie looks Killer though!! I will take 2 even on a paper plate.

As for the Auber Since you have the Digital Smoker I would suggest the single probe. As the smoke on/off function of the 2 probe wont work on the digitals from what I have been hearing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Nice Pork Shoulder, I'd slam a couple of them sammies on a cardbaord plate ;D I would get the dual probe auber if it is in your budget, it will control the heat and smoke with no problems on a digital as I have both. Goodsmokin!!!

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: Keymaster on June 11, 2011, 04:27:48 PM
Nice Pork Shoulder, I'd slam a couple of them sammies on a cardbaord plate ;D I would get the dual probe auber if it is in your budget, it will control the heat and smoke with no problems on a digital as I have both. Goodsmokin!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the single vs. dual probe Auber.  Actually I wasn't even aware that the smoke unit could be Auber-controlled. Awesome.

ghost9mm

WOW !!! that is some awesome bark on that butt..and the bone is falling out...the finished PP looks great, and your money shot is killer... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

congrats on your  smoker and great  looking food