• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pro Chef - First attempt at Jerky.

Started by Hamburgertoday, June 17, 2011, 01:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamburgertoday

I've been perusing this forum for weeks preparing for my first attempt at Jerky.  I am a pro chef and feel that my first attempt had good results but not perfect.  I was a little tired and a little rushed but fortunately my wife agreed to stay up late and pull the jerky out past midnight last night.  below are my notes and a couple of pics.  Feedback is welcome.

•   2.7 lbs of brisket cut 90% against grain 10% with the grain for experimentation.
•   ¾  tsp cure #1 (purchased on ebay) mixed with:
•   8 oz of marinade commercial teriyaki – all natural with wasabi flavor which was not really pronounced in the jerky. Soy Vay brand – I'd prob add about 25%  Kikkoman ponzu sauce next time to add more salt and citrus flavors and maybe a tablespoon of fresh peppercorn for a little spice.
•   15 minute in vacuum tumbler (Reveo)
•   Cooked  almost 5 hours but took over an hour to get temp with about an hour of smoke (which was just about right) in the middle.
•   Used Jim Beam pucks but I think a heavier wood would have been nicer.
•   No water in the catch pan but jerky was slightly acrid I think from the smoldering pucks – will try with water next time.
•   Some pink spots on meat but I liked the pinkish pieces that looked undercooked. Rotation is obviously important. As is removing pieces as they become done. Some pieces were almost black but I think the slightly pinker pieces is just about right for the cook time.
•   Both cuts "across the grain" and "with the grain" were nice. The "with the grain cut" was a little tougher but not distracting.
•   Had a difficult time getting the temps specific but it was my first time using the BS to cook rather than just smoke.
Original instructions:
•   140º for an hour with NO smoke
•   150º for 1.6 hours with Hickory (5 bisquettes) smoke
•   175º till done

OK, how do I insert pics?

::)
"We take the hamburger business more seriously than any one else" Ray Kroc

Hamburgertoday

SiFumar

Welcome  Your jerky looked good to me.  I haven't done jerky in the smoker yet so won't comment on the process.  Some of us use photobucket and used this info from the recipe site....http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?179-How-To-Attach-Pictures-To-Your-Posting   Happy smoking!

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

squirtthecat

You were just one step from getting those pictures posted...     Picasaweb did most of the work - you just need to view your photo on Picasa, click the "Link to this Photo" link to the right.   Then check the box that says 'image only', and finally drop down the 'select size' combo and pick "Large 800px" (that's what I use).

Now, copy the URL from the 'Link' box and past it into your post - surround with the {img} {/img} (replace curly with square brackets) tags and you are good to go.

It will look like this when you are done:

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Aoa0vS0xeEk/Tfu8B1CMiDI/AAAAAAAACVg/ghwotU9ByyI/s800/photo%252520%2525284%252529.JPG[/img]

PS.  Nice looking jerky!

ghost9mm

Really great looking jerky...well done..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Hamburgertoday

This is Great squirtthecat!  I will do that next time around. I plan on being here a while!  Thanks.

Tenpoint5

That Jerky turned out looking really Good.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer