• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork loin going in the BS this weekend

Started by ttownump, October 21, 2005, 04:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttownump

I am doing a 7# pork loin. I am brineing it right now. I am using the " coca cola ham " recipe for the poin. I am thinking about 6 -7 hours at 200 to get it to about 150 deg. then will FTC for about 2 hours. Any thoughts from you guys ? Does that sound about right ? This is my 2nd smoke with my BS. Thanks

bsolomon

Sounds about right.  Let me know how it turns out.

manxman

Hi ttownump,

Coincidentaly our local supermarket had a special offer on pork loin and I and doing exactly the same thing at the moment...... "coca cola ham"! The pork loin is brining as we speak.

Never done pork loin before in the BS, I was planning about 210F cabinet temperature and cook to 160F internal then FTC'ing using alder or pecan.

Also got brisket, ribs and salmon lined up for the weekend.....[:p]

Good luck![:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

bsolomon

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How'd the recipe work out for you guys?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

First impressions are VERY good, only had a quick taste so far though.

Also did some pork loin with Jamaican Jerk rub, some brisket with just the basic rub out of Smoke and Spice and some ribs marinaded in apple juice and mopped with a barbecue sauce, these are for my two young boys so don't want em too hotn'spicy.

All seem to have come out really well, first time I have done pork loin and thorougly recommend it done in the BS.

Learnt a couple of things though.

The batteries went on my Maverick ET73 thermometer, I was playing monopoly (Star Wars edition...brilliant!) with my two boys and keeping half an eye on the cabinet and internal meat temp on the remote display and after half an hour (yeah, I know, not the quickest off the mark on this occasion) realised neither temperature had altered at all.

Checked the primary unit and the temps were significantly different and updating regularly. Fresh batteries in both units to play safe sorted this issue.

The other thing was I went to bed at midnight after the smoking bit had finished and I had emptied and changed the water. Temperature was really stable around 210F and all was well..... it was a dry calm mild night.

Awoke at 3.30am and a force 10 severe gale had materialised, although the smoker was under the car port and dry the wind was sufficient to have lowered the temperature by aroung 15-20F so I was out adjusting the BS in my pj's in a howling gale.... had to extend the cooking time a fair bit.The things we do eh!!

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Also did some salmon in a honey and rum marinade that is awesome!!

Manxman.
Manxman

ttownump

Loin turned out PERFECT ! I used a cabnet temp of 200 then cooked it about 7 hours until it reached 155 internal then pulled it out and FTC for another 3 hours. I took it to our tailgate for the Alabama - Tenn game ( Roll Tide by the way ). Everyone loved it...it was so moist and had a great smoke ring. Thanks to everone for the tips ...

manxman

Mine too, had it for tea last night and it was BRILLIANT.

Did mine at cabinet temp 210F, around 4.5 hours smoke then carried on cooking until 160F internal.

Thoroughly recommend "coca cola ham" done in the BS.

Manxman.
Manxman

bsolomon

Great to hear you like my Bradley variation on the concept of Coca-Cola "Ham."  I was hoping a few people would give that one a try and let me know their thoughts.  It's one of my favorites, and as it is getting cooler this time of year, I suspect I have one of those coming up in the near future as well.

Oldman

Barry I got to try your recipe ... perhaps this weekend. Thanks~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

gopwillie

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, what do you mean by FTC?  Thanks, the recipe sounds good.  I'm planning on buying a Bradley soon and thought I'd research on here.  I've been using a little weber bullet smoker for about 2 years, mostly for pork bbq and thanksgiving turkey and wanted to expand my horizons a little.  Thanks again

bsolomon

FTC stands for Foil, Towel, Cooler.  It is basically a resting period for the meat after it is cooked that allows the juices to resettle and distribute throughout the meat before carving.  It keeps the meat juicy and moist, and suprisingly hot until you are ready to carve.  Wrap it in foil, then a big towel and stick it into a cooler for at least 1 hour, but up to 2-4 before carving.

car54

Can some one give the recipe or a link to coca cola ham. A search did not bring up much.

Thanks, Brad

manxman

Hi car54,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can some one give the recipe or a link to coca cola ham. A search did not bring up much.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Here you go:

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=706&SearchTerms=coca,cola,ham

Enjoy, know I did!

Manxman.
Manxman