• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heated up once,...now low heat ???

Started by TexasSmokerChic, July 03, 2011, 10:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasSmokerChic

I am stumped. I have been smoking since March. I have been successful at whole fryers, and some briskets.  I've had no problem until today with the internal temperature. I've smoked up to three hens at one time.

Today I am smoking 2 9# briskets.  I allowed the smoker to heat up and the briskets to warm up some for an hour.  The OBS showed an internal temp of 225 within that hour. After I put the briskets in I could not get it over 150. Thought the thermometer was bumpin' the brisket, but no. Thought the cold briskets were bringing down the temps, but after 4 hours still not over 125.  I fiddled with plugs to make sure they were in well. I jiggled with heat dial to hope to get it up higher.  I am stumped.

To save the meat I'll continue to cook in the my house oven for the remainder. Just really disappointed in the lack of heat now..

Here is some additional information. Its July 3rd in Texas.  Very light if no wind.
Vent is closed as can be. And the external temp outside is currently, 83 outside.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks so much ya"ll

Habanero Smoker

Hi TexasSmokerChic;
Welcome to the forum.

That reading is fairly low, did you notice if the element was glowing red?

The main problem I see is that you have your vent fully closed. Never use the smoker with the vent fully closed. Smoke, moisture and residue can back up into your generator. Another problem is that it traps moisture, which will keep your temperature down.

Also make sure your temperature control was all the way to the right. If you smoked three hens at once without problems in the past, did you do this with the vent closed? If so that would have cause low temperatures also.

Here is a link to some helpful tips:
Bradley FAQ's

The probe does not have to be touching the meat for it to register a low reading, but within a few inches. The temperature of the meat has something to do with the lower reading, but the main cause of why the reading is lower is do to moisture evaporating from the meat. Evaporation can cool the area near the meat's surface to up to 40°F during the early stages of cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: TexasSmokerChic on July 03, 2011, 10:47:33 PMHere is some additional information. Its July 3rd in Texas.  Very light if no wind.
Vent is closed as can be. And the external temp outside is currently, 83 outside.

Never try to smoke anything with the vent closed.  Moisture buildup will keep the chamber from getting up to temp and can also lead to other problems.  Always have it at least halfway open, fully open for poultry.

muebe

You may have a bad element. Verify it is working. If not give Bradley a call and they will send one out right away ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TexasSmokerChic

THANKS YA'LL!  I opened the vent and I moved the brisket but it still didn't get over 150.

I noticed this morning as I was cleaning it out some that the seal on the bottom the black plastic cover was all cracked.  It actually cracked after out first use.  So I will look into replacing that. I think I have got it set enough to make it work properly.

So bummed that in the initial heating up it got way hot in there, then wouldn't break 150.

Habanero Smoker

If opening the vent didn't improve the temperature, then it seems your element is not working. A cracked faceplate is common with the OBS. With the vent fully closed and you have a cracked face plate, it may have shorted out your temperature circuit board and no power is being supplied to the element. When the moisture build up inside of the cabinet, liquid will escape by running out of the bottom of the door, then work it's way through the crack which is located just above the temperature controller.

If the power indicator light on the front of the faceplate does not work, it is likely the problem is the circuit board. If the light still works it's a good sign that it is a bad element.

Give Bradley a call to replace the faceplate and circuit board. I would also ask them if they could send a element also, just in case that was the actual problem or both could be the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)