• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked pheasant

Started by Old Dad, November 01, 2005, 02:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dad

Has anyone ever smoked a whole pheasant? or do you just have to do the breasts. I was at a pheasant festival a few weeks ago and they auctioned  off some i am not sure if they were whole or breasted out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fuzzybear

Yeah, I'm inline for some pheasant too![:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Chez Bubba

Buck & I leave Friday for central Illinois for the annual pheasantathon. Hopefully it will be a good trip.

Whole pheasants smoke up just fine, but over the years I've found breasting & quartering the rear legs to be the easiest. When you look at it, you're not really wasting very much meat.

The biggest problem with smoking pheasants is keeping them moist because they have no skin. (Ya thought I was gonna say keeping them lit, didn't ya?[:D]) That can be solved with the top rack-o-bacon as described commonly here on other threads.

Whole birds would take longer than parts, so that would be of even more importance.

HTH,

Kirk

WOW!!![:0] I got through that entire post with out ever using the word that's opposite of hen!!![;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Buck & I leave Friday for central Illinois for the annual pheasantathon. Hopefully it will be a good trip.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How long do you go for?  I don't think I'll be out this year.  The season's half over and I'm barely scraping enough days to go deer hunting back home this year.

It was funny (wished I had the license and enough room for a shotgun) but when I was antlope hunting the other week, I spotted 6 ringnecks in a group out in one of the fields, nice ones at that.  I joked that I'd trade in my antlope tag for those birds, but apparently my group had never heard of a tag swap (me either actually) and there was neither a warden nor a license office in the middle of the field, so I was out of luck.  Thought if I glued 6 pheasants together it would be about the size of an antelope, although the color would be off a bit.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.