• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I gotta ask this question (Please read carefully) :)

Started by Gamefish, July 11, 2011, 10:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamefish

OK guys, I have been around for a while and done a few great posts of what we have done down here in NZ

I am struggling why everybody is pushing PID's extra elements etc, time for a explanation as even the good old kiwi's get confused reading these threads

We all understand that in certain parts of the World temperature varies on Climate, you guys in North America get hammered with Snow and we have Sunshine ;D and earth quakes but hey thats mother nature  8)

The way I see it is a PID may suit some people but it is not a necessity in buying a Bradley like some people make it out to be, comments on here are if you buy a Bradley you must buy a PID  :o (Common Comment)

We have created a huge range of smoked food in our Bradley's down here (yes i have more than one  ;) ) and never had issues with it not cooking sometimes just a little longer

I know some people would like it to cook faster but lets face it, it's a slow cooker so modifications are OK if thats what you want and agree in some temperatures outside you need more heat but when you talk about temperature swings (work with me here because we work in Celsius not Fahrenheit ) if you set the smoker to 120C and throw 2 chickens in it, the internal temp will stay down because the coldness of the chickens will keep it cool and even if the Smoker gets to 98C, lets face it chicken is cooked at 82C so there is no need to get the internal temp of the smoker with meat in it to 120C at that point the chicken will burn, I think you will understand what I am saying if it was -10C outside I would be saying double the cooking time or after a few hours throw it in the oven :) or put a extra element in

So a PID gives more control on temp?

I think it boils down to what part of the world or country you live in to whether you need all these modifications or not, lets face it we all want to turn our smoker into a V8 ::)

I smoked a 5kg ham the other day, that took 8 hours but guess what I went fishing to easy  ;D

The reason for this thread is alot of people from around the world now are joining the forum,
which is awesome but not everybody needs all the fruit on top  ;)

3rensho

A PID is not mandatory but I find it a convenience.  I used my Bradley for two years with just the slider control.  I found that for instance if you are smoking and have the slider zeroed in on the desired temp all is fine.  Then a wind comes up and you have to readjust the slider.  Or it suddenly clouds up and the ambient temp drops - PID helps.  I'm lazy I guess.  The new dual probe Auber's will measure the meat IT and hold it at a set point wen cooking is done.  Not mandatory but convenient - I still don't have one of the dual probe models and have no immediate plans to buy one.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

La Quinta

GameFish...I'm with you on this one...however, I did buy the cold smoke set up, (from Bradley) but as you accurately pointed out, it's because I live in a desert...but as far as the other "toys"...don't have any of them and have been really happy with the product out of the Bradley..We have lots of friends who bring stuff over and say smoke it for us...they keep bringing it..so I figure...why buy the toys...

But I do understand the cold weather  folks who need that temp to be more constant...so...just my opinion...

GusRobin

The PID is not necessary. Many do well without it. If you are making and smoking sausage it helps to provide tighter temp control.
If you install the second element (not required - again many do well without it) and hook it up per the instructions in the forum, it is highly recommended that you have some type of temp controller otherwise the second element would be running on all the time. It can be a PID or any other method.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

devo

It might not be necessary but I can tell you it sure is very helpful when smoking fish & sausage where you need to increase temps at different times. Makes life so much nicer. I really would'nt want to smoke fish without it. It takes the ball & chain off your leg so to speak.

Caribou

Hi Gamefish,
I'm in the same camp a LQ, I have never added anything to my Bradley smoker, I have the non-digital model which I've used since 2007.

I have smoked just about every and only used my analog meat thermometer to check IT.
Also, on a smoking day, I do not leave my home will cooking in my Bradley.
The down side is on long smokes like a ham, I have slept on the couch to check the temp now and then during the night.

We have 4 seasons here in North Idaho and have smoked stuff with it being 20F outside.  Below that temp I smoke cheese. :)

Oh, I almost forgot, I do have one upgrade to my smoker:  A foil-wrapped brick ;)

Very low tech here.
Carolyn

TedEbear

Quote from: Gamefish on July 11, 2011, 10:40:14 PMSo a PID gives more control on temp?

Absolutely.  I have the OBS and I've installed a second element and a PID controller in the smoke generator box. 

The PID is quite handy for overnight slow cooking things such as a pork shoulder that takes 15-20 hours to cook.  The outdoor temp at 3 p.m. is usually somewhat warmer than at 3 a.m. and that affects the temp of the smoker if all you have is a slider temp control.  The PID keeps it within a few degrees and I don't have to keep going back and checking on it.

The second element gets things up to temp fast. My last smoke preheated the chamber temp to 220*F from first turning it on in just 8 minutes.  Recovery time to get back up to temp is also greatly reduced.  No bricks needed here.   ;D

beefmann

Gamefish,

You have some very good points, and yes you  can smoke / cook in the bradley just fine as designed and built.. no issues there.

I have a timer and pid alone with a 900  watt heater with a blower to aid in temperature recovery and control only. Not to decrease cooking  times or change the  slow cooking  process. I still run in the 16 to 20 hour smoke / cook range in most to all of my smokes.

My concern is the danger temperature of the meat during the cooking process, I want to maintain a steady temp to cook at or close to it.

hope this helps

La Quinta

Caribou and I are sisters in smoking...smoking for a long time? Get up and check it....however...I usually just SMOKE for 4 hours...then move it in the house...but I still get up when it's in the oven! Maybe it's a chick thing!!!!

Very lo tech here too Carolyn!!!  ;D

Caribou

:D :D :D
Just been smoking since 2007 but I have done all types of projects, even the long ones like a home-cured ham. 
I don't mind tending the smoker on a "smoking day", I just plan a day that I am home anyways.
It is a chick thing LQ  ;)

Carolyn

La Quinta

Amen Carolyn...guys need toys to cook...strange ain't it?  ;D

josbocc

Caribou and LQ,

We guys aren't lazy..., we just need more beauty sleep than you do  ;)  My Auber PID is great for long term smokes, especially the ones that require temperature changes.  I haven't added an extra element to my DBS6...,yet.  Had a couple of days last winter when it would have been handy though.

My opinion is PID, definitely, extra element, perhaps.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

macsfire

Gamefish I just ordered a pid because I put a 3 lb. brisket on and it took 12 hr.s to get it to 190 degrees.  I guess I got a little feed up with watching the temp.  It would be nice if Bradley would put better temp controls on their smokers.  If I am planning dinner for 6:00 and the meat doesn't get done till 10:00 I get a little steamed.  So far piece of mind, I ordered a pid.  I know that all meats take different times to cook but something that should be done in 6 hr.s and it ends up taking 12 hr.s because your temp is not what you think it is, sure can mess up some pretty good plans.

La Quinta

I'm gonna go with Jeff's explanation  ;D Carolyn? Agreed?  :D