• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maltodextrin Use

Started by liquid25, November 03, 2005, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquid25

Does anyone have any experience using maltodextrin in a dry cure on whole muscle meat (jerky)? I'm experiencing that the meat doesn't absorb it like regular cane sugar - after a full smoke the meat has some white specking. I've never used it before so I don't know if I just bought some bad sugar or what the deal is.

owrstrich

i remember liquid 25 when it was legal... just the head of the pin...

my expierence with maltodextrin includes a full case of toilet paper and many flushes...

you gotts to eat... but you aints gotts to kill a tree and empty the water shed...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

liquid25

hmmm. not sure what to make of this. any other experiences? not sure what you are refering to with "when if was legal...just the head of the pin" but I appreciate the response.

mrdennisg

Rubs are seasoning mixtures applied as exterior meat coatings. Blackened foods owe their uniqueness to rubs. While they can be as simple as salt and pepper, they usually contain a combination of spices and seasonings, as well as carriers <font color="red">such as oil, flour and maltodextrin.</font id="red"> Rubs may be dry or in paste form. They can provide added visual interest, crunch and flavor. Rubs are usually applied after injection and/or vacuum tumbling when the surface is tacky

Maltodextrin Description: A carbohydrate of minimal sweetness usually produced from corn starch. Often used to create additional mass to a food substance (as in confections) without altering flavor. Also added to nutritional beverages to increase caloric content.

JVR

maltodextrins are hydrolyzed fragments of starch.  They are not a suitable sweetener substitute for sucrose (table sugar).

liquid25

Maltodextrin is a common ingredient in commercial jerky and jerky seasonings also. Thanks for the info.